Visio ODBC winnt Linux question

Lists: pgsql-novice
From: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Visio ODBC winnt Linux question
Date: 2002-03-22 09:18:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi all

We have a postgres database on a Linux server.

Now the powers that be have decided that they want us to look into
connecting the postgres database to visio drawings, the persons viewing and
working on the visio drawing will have winnt box's.

My problem is

1. i have no idea if this is feasible or even where to look to start on this
problem.

2. how do i set up ODBC drivers from winnt to the Linux-postgres.

3. will i have to set up ODBC drivers to all people using Visio.

4. or can i get visio to sort of make a static drawing that people can view
with out having to connect to postgres.

Could any one please point me in the right direction.

thanx

On Friday 22 March 2002 09:18, you wrote:
> hi all
>
> We have a postgres database on a Linux server.
>
> Now the powers that be have decided that they want us to look into
> connecting the postgres database to visio drawings, the persons viewing and
> working on the visio drawing will have winnt box's.
>
> My problem is
>
> 1. i have no idea if this is feasible or even where to look to start on this
> problem.
>
> 2. how do i set up ODBC drivers from winnt to the Linux-postgres.

There are ODBC drivers that work well, and are very easy to setup.
I have them running on my NT4.0 box without any problems.
Get them from:
http://odbc.postgresql.org

> 3. will i have to set up ODBC drivers to all people using Visio.

You will need to setup ODBC on all machines that need Vision to talk to postgres.

> 4. or can i get visio to sort of make a static drawing that people can view
> with out having to connect to postgres.

That will depend on Visio.
You could probably use Object Linking or some such to embed static objects.

Regards
JohnT