Re: SIREAD lock versus ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SIREAD lock versus ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock
Date: 2011-04-27 19:59:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Composing my rather long-winded response to Simon got me thinking --
which just led me to realize there is probably a need to fix another
thing related to SSI.

For correct serializable behavior in the face of concurrent DDL
execution, I think that a request for a heavyweight ACCESS EXCLUSIVE
lock might need to block until all SIREAD locks on the relation have
been released. Picture, for example, what might happen if one
transaction acquires some predicate locks, then commits (releasing
its heavyweight lock on the table), and before concurrent READ WRITE
transactions complete there is a CLUSTER on the table. Or a DROP

Both require an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock. Since an active transaction
would already have an ACCESS SHARE lock when acquiring the SIREAD
locks, this couldn't block in the other direction or with an active
transaction. That means that it couldn't cause any deadlocks if we
added blocking to the acquisition of an ACCESS EXCLUSIVE based on
this.

If we don't do this I don't think that there is a more serious
impact than inaccurate conflict detection for serializable
transactions which are active when these operations are performed.
Well, that and the possibility of seeing SIRead locks in the
pg_locks view for indexes or tables which no longer exist. So far I
don't see any crash modes or effects on non-serializable
transactions. If this change is too destabilizing for this point in
the release we could document it as a limitation and fix it in 9.2.

We're pretty aggressive about cleaning up SIREAD locks as soon as
allowable after transaction completion, so this probably wouldn't
happen very often.

-Kevin

On 27.04.2011 22:59, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> For correct serializable behavior in the face of concurrent DDL
> execution, I think that a request for a heavyweight ACCESS EXCLUSIVE
> lock might need to block until all SIREAD locks on the relation have
> been released. Picture, for example, what might happen if one
> transaction acquires some predicate locks, then commits (releasing
> its heavyweight lock on the table), and before concurrent READ WRITE
> transactions complete there is a CLUSTER on the table. Or a DROP

Hmm, could we upgrade all predicate locks to relation-level predicate
locks instead?

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On 27.04.2011 22:59, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> For correct serializable behavior in the face of concurrent DDL
>> execution, I think that a request for a heavyweight ACCESS
>> EXCLUSIVE lock might need to block until all SIREAD locks on the
>> relation have been released. Picture, for example, what might
>> happen if one transaction acquires some predicate locks, then
>> commits (releasing its heavyweight lock on the table), and before
>> concurrent READ WRITE transactions complete there is a CLUSTER on
>> the table. Or a DROP INDEX. :-(
>
> Hmm, could we upgrade all predicate locks to relation-level
> predicate locks instead?

Tied to what backend? This only comes into play with transactions
which have committed and are not yet able to release their predicate
locks because of overlapping READ WRITE serializable transactions
which are still active. Until that point the ACCESS SHARE lock (or
stronger) is still there protecting against this.

One way we could push this entirely into the heavyweight locking
system would be for a committing transaction with predicate locks to
somehow cause all overlapping read write serializable transactions
which are still active to acquire an ACCESS SHARE lock on each
relation for which the committing transaction has any predicate
lock(s). (Unless of course they already hold some lock on a
relevant relation.) This would need to be done before the
committing transaction released its lock on the relation (which it
must have acquired to read something which would cause it to have a
predicate lock). Is that feasible? It seems like a lot of work,
and I'm not sure how one transaction would convince another
process's transaction to acquire the locks.

As an alternative, perhaps we could find a way to leave the relation
locks for a serializable transaction until it's safe to clean up the
predicate locks? They could be downgraded to ACCESS SHARE if they
are stronger. They would need to survive beyond not only the commit
of the transaction, but also the termination of the connection.
They would need to be immune to being chosen as deadlock victims.

Any other ideas?

-Kevin

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 02:59:19PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> For correct serializable behavior in the face of concurrent DDL
> execution, I think that a request for a heavyweight ACCESS EXCLUSIVE
> lock might need to block until all SIREAD locks on the relation have
> been released. Picture, for example, what might happen if one

I think you're correct about this, but also agree that it would be
reasonable to document the limitation for now and punt on a fix until
9.2.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 04:09:38PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hmm, could we upgrade all predicate locks to relation-level
> > predicate locks instead?
>
> Tied to what backend? This only comes into play with transactions
> which have committed and are not yet able to release their predicate
> locks because of overlapping READ WRITE serializable transactions
> which are still active. Until that point the ACCESS SHARE lock (or
> stronger) is still there protecting against this.

I think Heikki was suggesting to upgrade to relation-level SIREAD
locks. This seems like it would work, but might cause a lot of aborts
immediately afterwards. I do wonder if it might be necessary to upgrade
index locks to relation-level locks on the heap relation, in cases of
dropping the index.

> One way we could push this entirely into the heavyweight locking
> system would be for a committing transaction with predicate locks to
> somehow cause all overlapping read write serializable transactions
> which are still active to acquire an ACCESS SHARE lock on each
> relation for which the committing transaction has any predicate
> lock(s).

I'm not entirely clear on how this would work, but it sounds like it
could also have a significant performance cost.

> As an alternative, perhaps we could find a way to leave the relation
> locks for a serializable transaction until it's safe to clean up the
> predicate locks? They could be downgraded to ACCESS SHARE if they
> are stronger. They would need to survive beyond not only the commit
> of the transaction, but also the termination of the connection.
> They would need to be immune to being chosen as deadlock victims.

This sounds like it would require major changes to the heavyweight lock
manager. There's already a notion of keeping locks past backend
termination for 2PC prepared transactions, but it would be hard to
apply here.

The most practical solutions I see here are to, when acquiring an
AccessExclusive lock, either wait for any associated SIREAD locks to go
away, or to promote them to relation level.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports MIT CSAIL http://drkp.net/