Re: POSIX regex performance bug in 7.3 Vs. 7.2

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: wade <wade(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: POSIX regex performance bug in 7.3 Vs. 7.2
Date: 2003-01-31 22:37:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,
We recently upgraded a project from 7.2 to 7.3.1 to make use of some of
the cool new features in 7.3. The installed version is CVS stable from
yesterday. However, we noticed a major performance hit in POSIX regular
expression matches against columns using the ~* operator.
http://arch.wavefire.com/badregex73.txt has explain analyze output from 7.2
and 7.3.1 respectively. Both of these tables have only 101 rows. The
7.3.1 install is using the default settings from postgresql.conf.

Any ideas as to why this should be happening?

Should anyone require additional information, please let me know.

-Wade Klaver

> We recently upgraded a project from 7.2 to 7.3.1 to make use of some of
> the cool new features in 7.3. The installed version is CVS stable from
> yesterday. However, we noticed a major performance hit in POSIX regular
> expression matches against columns using the ~* operator.

The only thought that comes to mind is that multibyte character sets are
supported in 7.3 whereas they were optional (and not default) in 7.2.
I'd not have expected a factor-of-150 performance hit from that, though.

Could you rebuild your backend with profiling enabled and get a gprof
summary of where the time is going?

regards, tom lane

Why on earth are you using a CVS version!?!?!?!

Chris