Re: psql can not connect to the server on Win2000 NT

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Kouber Saparev" <kouber(at)saparev(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql can not connect to the server on Win2000 NT
Date: 2004-09-19 20:26:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>Hello,
>
>I have installed PostgreSQL 8.beta2.dev3 on Windows 2000 NT using the
>installer. There were two dialogs with messages like "Couldn't
>connect to
>the server" or so. Then when I try to connect I get this message:
>
>C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin>psql.exe
>psql.exe: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
>
>The information in the log file is:
>
>"2004-09-17 10:06:53 Central European Daylight Time LOG:
>could not receive
>data from client: An operation was attempted on something that is not a
>socket.

This sounds a lot like FAQ item 3.2 on
http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html. Check those
instructions as a first step.

//Magnus

From: "Kouber Saparev" <kouber(at)saparev(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-09-20 09:07:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> This sounds a lot like FAQ item 3.2 on
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html. Check those
> instructions as a first step.

Maybe you're right that there's something installed on my computer that's
bugging the postmaster. The only networking tool that I have installed is
NetLimiter - but it only offers a possibility to manually limit the speed of
some connections - not to forbid access or so. Anyway, I will try some
tricks over there and will report the solution, if there's such.

Thank you both Magnus and Harald.

Regards,
Kouber Saparev

> Maybe you're right that there's something installed on my computer that's
> bugging the postmaster. The only networking tool that I have installed is
> NetLimiter

This is a good example of a misleading error message, probably resulting
from examining errno. Using GetLastError() on those socket calls might
help reducing support requests.

Regards,
Andreas