Re: match_unsorted_outer() vs. cost_nestloop()

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: match_unsorted_outer() vs. cost_nestloop()
Date: 2009-09-05 01:02:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In joinpath.c, match_unsorted_outer() considers materializing the
inner side of each nested loop if the inner path is not an index scan,
bitmap heap scan, tid scan, material path, function scan, CTE scan, or
worktable scan. In costsize.c, cost_nestloop() charges the startup
cost only once if the inner path is a hash path or material path;
otherwise, it charges it for every anticipated rescan.

It seems to me, perhaps naively, like the criteria used in these two
places are more different than they maybe should be. For example,
function scan nodes insert their results into a tuplestore so that
rescans get the same set of tuples, which is why we don't consider
inserting a materialize node over them in match_unsorted_outer() - but
I think that also means that we oughtn't to be counting the startup
cost for every rescan.

I'm not exactly sure which ones should match or not match. Hash
paths, maybe, shouldn't. I believe the reason why we don't count the
startup cost of the hash path over again is because we're assuming
that it's attributable to the cost of building the hash table, which
only needs to be done once. I don't think that's 100% accurate
because the hash path could have inherited some of that cost from its
underlying paths. At any rate, it's conceivable that materializing
could be enough cheaper than repeating the join that a materialize
nodes makes sense.

Thoughts?

...Robert

> In joinpath.c, match_unsorted_outer() considers materializing the
> inner side of each nested loop if the inner path is not an index scan,
> bitmap heap scan, tid scan, material path, function scan, CTE scan, or
> worktable scan. In costsize.c, cost_nestloop() charges the startup
> cost only once if the inner path is a hash path or material path;
> otherwise, it charges it for every anticipated rescan.

> It seems to me, perhaps naively, like the criteria used in these two
> places are more different than they maybe should be.

They are considering totally different effects, so I'm not sure I
follow that conclusion.

I'll certainly concede that the costing of materialize plans is rather
bogus --- it's been a long time since materialize behaved the way
cost_material thinks it does (ie, read the whole input before handing
anything back). But our cost model doesn't have a way to represent the
true value of a materialize node, which is that a re-read is a lot
cheaper than the original fetch. I've occasionally tried to think of a
way to deal with that without introducing a lot of extra calculations
and complexity everywhere else ...

regards, tom lane

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> In joinpath.c, match_unsorted_outer() considers materializing the
>> inner side of each nested loop if the inner path is not an index scan,
>> bitmap heap scan, tid scan, material path, function scan, CTE scan, or
>> worktable scan.  In costsize.c, cost_nestloop() charges the startup
>> cost only once if the inner path is a hash path or material path;
>> otherwise, it charges it for every anticipated rescan.
>
>> It seems to me, perhaps naively, like the criteria used in these two
>> places are more different than they maybe should be.
>
> They are considering totally different effects, so I'm not sure I
> follow that conclusion.
>
> I'll certainly concede that the costing of materialize plans is rather
> bogus --- it's been a long time since materialize behaved the way
> cost_material thinks it does (ie, read the whole input before handing
> anything back).  But our cost model doesn't have a way to represent the
> true value of a materialize node, which is that a re-read is a lot
> cheaper than the original fetch.  I've occasionally tried to think of a
> way to deal with that without introducing a lot of extra calculations
> and complexity everywhere else ...

I noticed that, too, and I don't know what to do about it either.

I guess my point is that for node types that dump their output into a
tuplestore anyway, it doesn't seem like cost_nestloop() should charge
n * the startup cost. I believe that at least function, CTE, and
worktable scans fall into this category. No?

...Robert