async notification patch for dblink

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Marcus Kempe" <marcus(at)kempe(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: async notification patch for dblink
Date: 2008-11-18 23:47:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This patch adds the ability to retrieve async notifications using dblink,
via the addition of the function dblink_get_notify.

It is written against cvs head, includes documentation and regression
testing. It compiles, tests and works well.

I would be interested in some feedback on the regression test.
My initial thought was to test the function as thoroughly as possible. So I
perform listen and notify commands within the test to be able to test all
aspects of the code. Even though this works well for me, I get the feeling
that this is not the correct way to do it. I can find no other testing of
the listen/notify functionality in the regression tests, and I imagine this
is for good reason.
If someone would care to explain this, and maybe give a hint about what
amount of testing is appropriate for this fairly trivial patch, it would be
appreciated.

Best regards,

Marcus Kempe

Attachment Content-Type Size
dblink_async_notifications-v1.patch text/x-patch 6.4 KB

> This patch adds the ability to retrieve async notifications using dblink,
> via the addition of the function dblink_get_notify.
>
> It is written against cvs head, includes documentation and regression
> testing. It compiles, tests and works well.
>
> I would be interested in some feedback on the regression test.
> My initial thought was to test the function as thoroughly as possible. So I
> perform listen and notify commands within the test to be able to test all
> aspects of the code. Even though this works well for me, I get the feeling
> that this is not the correct way to do it. I can find no other testing of
> the listen/notify functionality in the regression tests, and I imagine this
> is for good reason.
> If someone would care to explain this, and maybe give a hint about what
> amount of testing is appropriate for this fairly trivial patch, it would be
> appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marcus Kempe

[ Attachment, skipping... ]