BufferAccessStrategy for bulk insert

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgres Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: BufferAccessStrategy for bulk insert
Date: 2008-10-26 03:29:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm taking a look at doing the refactoring Tom Lane and Simon Riggs
discussed here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-02/msg00155.php

In terms of the buffer manager, I think we can simply introduce a new
strategy type BAS_BULKWRITE and make it behave identically to
BAS_VACUUM. Anyone see a reason to do anything else?

The trickier part is to handle the communication between CopyFrom (or
the CTAS machinery), heap_insert, and RelationGetBufferForTuple.
There are basically three things we need to keep track of here:

(1) a BufferAccessStrategy (that is, the ring of buffers we're using
for this bulk insert)
(2) the last-pinned page (to implement Simon Riggs's proposed
optimization of keeping the most-recently-written page pinned)
(3) use_wal and use_fsm (to implement Tom Lane's suggestion of
reducing the number of options to heap_insert by rolling everything
into an options object)

Tom's email seemed to suggest that we might want to roll everything
into the BufferAccessStrategy itself, but that seems to require quite
a few things to know about the internals of BufferAccessStrategy that
currently don't, so I think that's a bad idea. I am kind of inclined
to define flags like this:

#define HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_WAL 0x0001
#define HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM 0x0002
#define HEAP_INSERT_BULK 0x0004 /* do we even need this one? */

And then:

Oid heap_insert(Relation relation, HeapTuple tup, CommandId cid,
unsigned options, BulkInsertState *bistate);
BulkInsertState *GetBulkInsertState(void);
void FreeBulkInsertState(BulkInsertState *);

I'm always wary of reversing the sense of a boolean, but I think it
makes sense here; it doesn't really matter whether you call
heap_insert(relation, tup, cid, true, true) or heap_insert(relation,
tup, cid, false, false), but heap_insert(relation, tup, cid,
HEAP_INSERT_USE_WAL|HEAP_INSERT_USE_FSM, NULL) is a lot uglier than
heap_insert(relation, tup, cid, 0, NULL), and there aren't that many
places that need to be checked for correctness in making the change.

Admittedly, we could make the calling sequence for heap_insert shorter
by putting the options (and maybe even the CommandId) into
BulkInsertState and calling it HeapInsertOptions, but that forces
several callers of heap_insert who don't care at all about bulk
inserts to uselessly create and destroy a HeapInsertOptions object
just to pass a couple of boolean flags (and maybe the CommandId),
which seems like a loser.

Comments?

...Robert

"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am kind of inclined to define flags like this:

> #define HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_WAL 0x0001
> #define HEAP_INSERT_SKIP_FSM 0x0002
> #define HEAP_INSERT_BULK 0x0004 /* do we even need this one? */

> And then:

> Oid heap_insert(Relation relation, HeapTuple tup, CommandId cid,
> unsigned options, BulkInsertState *bistate);
> BulkInsertState *GetBulkInsertState(void);
> void FreeBulkInsertState(BulkInsertState *);

Seems sane to me. I don't see the point of the HEAP_INSERT_BULK flag
bit --- providing or not providing bistate would cover that, and if
you have a bit as well then you have to define what the inconsistent
combinations mean. I concur with making all-zeroes be the typical
state of the flag bits, too.

FWIW, we generally declare bitmask flag variables as int, unless
there's some really good reason to do otherwise.

regards, tom lane

> Seems sane to me. I don't see the point of the HEAP_INSERT_BULK flag
> bit --- providing or not providing bistate would cover that, and if
> you have a bit as well then you have to define what the inconsistent
> combinations mean. I concur with making all-zeroes be the typical
> state of the flag bits, too.

Thanks for the design review. I had thought to make the inconsistent
combinations fail an assertion, but I'm just as happy to leave it out
altogether.

> FWIW, we generally declare bitmask flag variables as int, unless
> there's some really good reason to do otherwise.

OK, thanks for the tip.

...Robert