Re: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.general

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Andy" <me(at)privacy(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RFD: comp.databases.postgresql.general
Date: 2004-11-04 17:17:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Someone posted this official proposal to create
comp.databases.postgresql.general again. He wrote his own charter. As
far as I know, he did not consult any of the postgresql groups first.
There may be an upcoming vote on this, so please stay informed and read
news.newgroups.announce for updates.

Also see message <2uu44nF2eodc0U1(at)uni-berlin(dot)de> for an example of the
proponent's temperament.

"Mike Cox" wrote:
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
unmoderated group comp.databases.postgresql.general

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the creation of
a worldwide unmoderated Usenet newsgroup
comp.databases.postgresql.general. This is not a Call for Votes
(CFV); you cannot vote at this time. Procedural details are below.

RATIONALE: comp.databases.postgresql.general

comp.databases.postgresql.general exists in groups.google.com. It
has never gone through the big eight process of RFD and CFV, therefore
is considered "bogus" and many news servers will not carry
comp.databases.postgresql.general.

comp.databases.postgresql.general is already very active, with many
people posting and reading through groups.google.com. Having it
be an official big eight group will enable people to follow it
through their usenet servers.

CHARTER: comp.databases.postgresql.general

The comp.databases.postgresql.general unmoderated newsgroup will
provide a general discussion location for users of the open-source
PostgreSQL RDBMS.

Postgresql is the most advanced open source relational database
management system with thousands of users. It has won many awards
and is distributed with almost every Linux and BSD distribution.

PostgreSQL may be freely downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase
of the process, any potential problems with the proposed newsgroups
should be raised and resolved. The discussion period will continue
for a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first RFD for this
proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after which a Call For
Votes (CFV) may be posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion
warrants it. Please do not attempt to vote until this happens.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and "How
to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal." Please refer to these
documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have any
questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups, news.groups

A pointer will be posted to the following group:

comp.databases.postgresql.general on Google Groups

Proponent: Mike Cox mikecoxlinux(at)yahoo(dot)com