Re: implement subject alternative names support for SSL connections

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: implement subject alternative names support for SSL connections
Date: 2014-07-25 16:10:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

I'd like to propose a patch for checking subject alternative names entry in
the SSL certificate for DNS names during SSL authentication.

When the client PGSSLMODE is set to verify-full, the common name (CN) of
the PostgreSQL server in the certificate is matched against the actual
host name supplied by the client. A successful connection is only
established when those names match.

If a failover schema with a floating IP is used, a single DNS name may
point to different hosts after failover. In order to maintain the correct
pair of (client connection FQDN, FQDN in the certificate) the certificate
from the master should also be transferred to the slave. Unfortunately, it
makes failover more complicated, since the server restart is required when
the new certificate is installed.

The other option is to issue a single certificate covering all the hosts
that may participate in the failover.

So far the only way to cover more than one server name with a single
certificate is to use wildcards in the server common name, i.e.
*.db.example com. Unfortunately, this schema only works for names like
master.db.example.com, slave.db.example.com, but not for the example.com
and db-master.example.com and db-slave.example.com or other more complex
naming schemas.

The other way to issue a single certificate for multiple names is to set
the subject alternative names, described in the RFC 3280 4.2.1.7. SAN
allows binding multiple identities to the certificate, including DNS names.
For the names above the SAN with look like this:

X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
DNS:db-master.example.com, DNS:db-slave.example.com.

At the moment PostgreSQL doesn't support SANs, but should, according to the
following comment in the code in verify_peer_name_matches_certificate:

/*
* Extract the common name from the certificate.
*
* XXX: Should support alternate names here
*/

The attached patch adds support for checking the client supplied names
against the dNSName-s in SAN, making it easier to set secure HA
environments using PostgreSQL. If SAN section is present, the DNS names
from that section are checked against the peer name in addition to checking
the common name (CN) from the certificate. The match is successful if at
least one of those names match the name supplied by the peer.

I gave it a spin and it works in our environment (Linux database servers,
Linux and Mac clients). I don't have either Windows or old versions of
OpenSSL, it's not tested against those systems.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
--
Alexey Klyukin

Attachment Content-Type Size
ssl_san.diff text/plain 3.4 KB

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to propose a patch for checking subject alternative names entry in
> the SSL certificate for DNS names during SSL authentication.
>
> When the client PGSSLMODE is set to verify-full, the common name (CN) of the
> PostgreSQL server in the certificate is matched against the actual host
> name supplied by the client. A successful connection is only established
> when those names match.
>
> If a failover schema with a floating IP is used, a single DNS name may point
> to different hosts after failover. In order to maintain the correct pair of
> (client connection FQDN, FQDN in the certificate) the certificate from the
> master should also be transferred to the slave. Unfortunately, it makes
> failover more complicated, since the server restart is required when the new
> certificate is installed.
>
> The other option is to issue a single certificate covering all the hosts
> that may participate in the failover.
>
> So far the only way to cover more than one server name with a single
> certificate is to use wildcards in the server common name, i.e. *.db.example
> com. Unfortunately, this schema only works for names like
> master.db.example.com, slave.db.example.com, but not for the example.com and
> db-master.example.com and db-slave.example.com or other more complex naming
> schemas.
>
> The other way to issue a single certificate for multiple names is to set the
> subject alternative names, described in the RFC 3280 4.2.1.7. SAN allows
> binding multiple identities to the certificate, including DNS names. For the
> names above the SAN with look like this:
>
> X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
> DNS:db-master.example.com, DNS:db-slave.example.com.
>
> At the moment PostgreSQL doesn't support SANs, but should, according to the
> following comment in the code in verify_peer_name_matches_certificate:
>
> /*
> * Extract the common name from the certificate.
> *
> * XXX: Should support alternate names here
> */

I believe that comment is mine, and yes, it should definitely be done.
So absolutely +1 on the feature :)

> The attached patch adds support for checking the client supplied names
> against the dNSName-s in SAN, making it easier to set secure HA environments
> using PostgreSQL. If SAN section is present, the DNS names from that section
> are checked against the peer name in addition to checking the common name
> (CN) from the certificate. The match is successful if at least one of those
> names match the name supplied by the peer.
>
> I gave it a spin and it works in our environment (Linux database servers,
> Linux and Mac clients). I don't have either Windows or old versions of
> OpenSSL, it's not tested against those systems.

We definitely need testing for older openssl. I don't think Windows
will make a difference, but openssl definitely may - there is a fairly
large chance we need a configure check.

> I'd appreciate your feedback.

I just took a very quick look at the code, and just noticed one thing:

Why keep looping once you've found a match? When you set result=true
you should break; from the loop I think. Not necessarily for
performance, but there might be something about a different extension
we can't parse for example, no need to fail in that case.

Please add it to the next CF - this was just a very quick review, and
it needs a proper one along with openssl version testing :)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
wrote:

> I just took a very quick look at the code, and just noticed one thing:
>
> Why keep looping once you've found a match? When you set result=true
> you should break; from the loop I think. Not necessarily for
> performance, but there might be something about a different extension
> we can't parse for example, no need to fail in that case.

The for loop header is for (i = 0; i < alt_names_total && !result; i++), so
the loop
should terminate right when the result becomes true, which happens if the
pg_strcasecmp
finds a match between the given dNSName and the name supplied by the client.

> Please add it to the next CF - this was just a very quick review, and
> it needs a proper one along with openssl version testing :)

Done.

Sincerely,
--
Alexey Klyukin

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
>>

>> I just took a very quick look at the code, and just noticed one thing:
>>
>> Why keep looping once you've found a match? When you set result=true
>> you should break; from the loop I think. Not necessarily for
>> performance, but there might be something about a different extension
>> we can't parse for example, no need to fail in that case.
>

> The for loop header is for (i = 0; i < alt_names_total && !result; i++), so
> the loop
> should terminate right when the result becomes true, which happens if the
> pg_strcasecmp
> finds a match between the given dNSName and the name supplied by the client.

oh, ha. So yeah, that was too quick to count as a review - clearly :)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
>>> Why keep looping once you've found a match? When you set result=true
>>> you should break; from the loop I think. Not necessarily for
>>> performance, but there might be something about a different extension
>>> we can't parse for example, no need to fail in that case.

>> The for loop header is for (i = 0; i < alt_names_total && !result; i++), so
>> the loop
>> should terminate right when the result becomes true, which happens if the
>> pg_strcasecmp
>> finds a match between the given dNSName and the name supplied by the client.

> oh, ha. So yeah, that was too quick to count as a review - clearly :)

FWIW, I find that type of loop coding to be extremely poor style,
precisely because it's not too readable. A break in the loop body is
*far* more obvious to the reader. (Not to mention that it doesn't
add overhead to the loop on iterations where you can't break.)

regards, tom lane