Re: ERROR : 'tuple concurrently updated'

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Stéphan BEUZE <stephan(dot)beuze(at)douane(dot)finances(dot)gouv(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: ERROR : 'tuple concurrently updated'
Date: 2013-10-16 12:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The following query is performed concurrently by two threads logged in
with two different users:

WITH raw_stat AS (
SELECT
host(client_addr) as client_addr,
pid ,
usename
FROM
pg_stat_activity
WHERE
usename = current_user
)
INSERT INTO my_stat(id, client_addr, pid, usename)
SELECT
nextval('mystat_sequence'), t.client_addr, t.pid, t.usename
FROM (
SELECT
client_addr, pid, usename
FROM
raw_stat s
WHERE
NOT EXISTS (
SELECT
NULL
FROM
my_stat u
WHERE
current_date = u.creation
AND
s.pid = u.pid
AND
s.client_addr = u.client_addr
AND
s.usename = u.usename
)
) t;

From time to time, I get the following error: "tuple concurrently updated"

I can't figure out what throw this error and why this error is thrown.
Can you shed a light ?

-------------------------------
Here is the sql definition of the table mystat.

**mystats.sql**

CREATE TABLE mystat
(
id bigint NOT NULL,
creation date NOT NULL DEFAULT current_date,

client_addr text NOT NULL,
pid integer NOT NULL,
usename name NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT statistiques_connexions_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
)
WITH (
OIDS=FALSE
);

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Stéphan BEUZE
<stephan(dot)beuze(at)douane(dot)finances(dot)gouv(dot)fr> wrote:
> The following query is performed concurrently by two threads logged in with
> two different users:
>
> WITH raw_stat AS (
> SELECT
> host(client_addr) as client_addr,
> pid ,
> usename
> FROM
> pg_stat_activity
> WHERE
> usename = current_user
> )
> INSERT INTO my_stat(id, client_addr, pid, usename)
> SELECT
> nextval('mystat_sequence'), t.client_addr, t.pid, t.usename
> FROM (
> SELECT
> client_addr, pid, usename
> FROM
> raw_stat s
> WHERE
> NOT EXISTS (
> SELECT
> NULL
> FROM
> my_stat u
> WHERE
> current_date = u.creation
> AND
> s.pid = u.pid
> AND
> s.client_addr = u.client_addr
> AND
> s.usename = u.usename
> )
> ) t;
>
> From time to time, I get the following error: "tuple concurrently updated"
>
> I can't figure out what throw this error and why this error is thrown. Can
> you shed a light ?

Hmm. That error isn't supposed to happen; it's denoted in the source
code by elog() rather than ereport(), which means that it's just there
as a backstop, and never really intended to be become user-visible.
So I'd say you've found a bug. What PostgreSQL version is this?

There are actually two places where that error can happen:
simple_heap_update and simple_heap_delete. If you set the error
verbosity to verbose, you should be able to see which function is at
fault. The thing is, I don't see anything in that query which would
update or delete any tuples, so there must be more to the story. If
you have the ability to build from source, you could try setting a
long sleep just before that error is thrown. Then run your test case
until it hangs at that spot and get a stack backtrace. But that may
be more troubleshooting than you want to get into. Are there any
triggers on any of these tables? Any noteworthy extensions installed?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company