Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Baron Schwartz <baron(at)xaprb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-24 19:54:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter just pointed this thread out to me. I think anything
that makes PostgreSQL more accessible could be a good thing. In some
sense it's harder to learn a technology when you are very familiar
with another similar one already. Is it easier to learn to type on
Dvorak, or to learn QWERTY and then switch to Dvorak? Switching was
harder for me than learning initially.

So I guess my advice, since David asked me :-) is not to underestimate
the pain of switching. I don't know whether this patch is the Right
Answer, but I think the sentiment is something to be encouraged. If
it's not the right answer, then maybe some brainstorming and user
input will reveal creative alternatives. I'll start:

== begin ==

Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL

type \? for help on slash commands
type \mysql for a quick MySQL-to-PostgreSQL cheatsheet

somedb=> \mysql

psql uses backslash keywords instead of SHOW commands. There is
also a standard INFORMATION_SCHEMA if you're familiar with that.
The following commands might be helpful as you learn how to use psql:

Command in mysql Command in psql
================ ===============
SHOW TABLES \dt
DESCRIBE \d
... and so on.

== end ==

The full list of SHOW commands, should anyone be interested, is at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/show.html

Cheers,
Baron

2010/1/24 Baron Schwartz <baron(at)xaprb(dot)com>:
> David Fetter just pointed this thread out to me.  I think anything
> that makes PostgreSQL more accessible could be a good thing.  In some
> sense it's harder to learn a technology when you are very familiar
> with another similar one already.  Is it easier to learn to type on
> Dvorak, or to learn QWERTY and then switch to Dvorak?  Switching was
> harder for me than learning initially.
>
> So I guess my advice, since David asked me :-) is not to underestimate
> the pain of switching.  I don't know whether this patch is the Right
> Answer, but I think the sentiment is something to be encouraged.  If
> it's not the right answer, then maybe some brainstorming and user
> input will reveal creative alternatives.  I'll start:

'psql --help mysql' (or 'psql --tips mysql' ) might be good to call a
special helper : I don't see the point to introduce that kind of
things when it is useless for most of our users. (so 'psql' won't
output any tips relative to mysql)

It offer then to have a 'psql --help oracle' or anyother special tips
we want to provide for our new users and following their knowledge.

And it will be able to provide usefull tips à la git for postgresql
regular users. (selcet --> did you mean select instead of selcet ?)

Regards,
Cédric

> == begin ==
>
> Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
>  Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
>
>   type \? for help on slash commands
>   type \mysql for a quick MySQL-to-PostgreSQL cheatsheet
>
> somedb=> \mysql
>
> psql uses backslash keywords instead of SHOW commands.  There is
> also a standard INFORMATION_SCHEMA if you're familiar with that.
> The following commands might be helpful as you learn how to use psql:
>
>  Command in mysql  Command in psql
>  ================  ===============
>  SHOW TABLES       \dt
>  DESCRIBE          \d
>  ... and so on.
>
> == end ==
>
> The full list of SHOW commands, should anyone be interested, is at
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/show.html
>
> Cheers,
> Baron
>
> --

Cédric Villemain

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 'psql --help mysql' (or 'psql --tips mysql' ) might be good to call a
> special helper : I don't see the point to introduce that kind of
> things when it is useless for most of our users.

I think it's good to go beyond what's useful for most users. It's
good to help potential users, too.

- Baron

2010/1/25 Baron Schwartz <baron(at)xaprb(dot)com>:
> Hi Cédric,
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Cédric Villemain
> <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 'psql --help mysql' (or 'psql --tips mysql' ) might be good to call a
>> special helper : I don't see the point to introduce that kind of
>> things when it is useless for most of our users.
>
> I think it's good to go beyond what's useful for most users.  It's
> good to help potential users, too.

Absolutly, that's why I suggest to give a simple option to activate
those helpers.
We didn't remove extra lines on the psql login to add anothers now.

--
Cédric Villemain