Posix Shared Mem patch

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Posix Shared Mem patch
Date: 2012-06-26 19:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert, all:

Last I checked, we had a reasonably acceptable patch to use mostly Posix
Shared mem with a very small sysv ram partition. Is there anything
keeping this from going into 9.3? It would eliminate a major
configuration headache for our users.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar jun 26 15:49:59 -0400 2012:
> Robert, all:
>
> Last I checked, we had a reasonably acceptable patch to use mostly Posix
> Shared mem with a very small sysv ram partition. Is there anything
> keeping this from going into 9.3? It would eliminate a major
> configuration headache for our users.

I don't think that patch was all that reasonable. It needed work, and
in any case it needs a rebase because it was pretty old.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar jun 26 15:49:59 -0400 2012:
>> Robert, all:
>>
>> Last I checked, we had a reasonably acceptable patch to use mostly Posix
>> Shared mem with a very small sysv ram partition.  Is there anything
>> keeping this from going into 9.3?  It would eliminate a major
>> configuration headache for our users.
>
> I don't think that patch was all that reasonable.  It needed work, and
> in any case it needs a rebase because it was pretty old.

Yep, agreed.

I'd like to get this fixed too, but it hasn't made it up to the top of
my list of things to worry about.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar jun 26 15:49:59 -0400 2012:
>>> Robert, all:
>>>
>>> Last I checked, we had a reasonably acceptable patch to use mostly Posix
>>> Shared mem with a very small sysv ram partition. Is there anything
>>> keeping this from going into 9.3? It would eliminate a major
>>> configuration headache for our users.
>>
>> I don't think that patch was all that reasonable. It needed work, and
>> in any case it needs a rebase because it was pretty old.
>
> Yep, agreed.
>
> I'd like to get this fixed too, but it hasn't made it up to the top of
> my list of things to worry about.

Was there a post-AgentM version of the patch, which incorporated the
small SySV RAM partition? I'm not finding it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 6/26/12 2:13 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar jun 26 15:49:59 -0400 2012:

>>> I don't think that patch was all that reasonable. It needed work, and
>>> in any case it needs a rebase because it was pretty old.
>>
>> Yep, agreed.
>>
>> I'd like to get this fixed too, but it hasn't made it up to the top of
>> my list of things to worry about.
>
> Was there a post-AgentM version of the patch, which incorporated the
> small SySV RAM partition? I'm not finding it.

On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
being installed. This is most likely on platforms that don't have a
high SysV shmem limit by default, so installers all feel the
prerogative to increase the limit, but there's no great answer for how
to compose a series of such installations. It only takes one
installer that says "whatever, I'm just catenating stuff to
sysctl.conf that works for me" to sabotage Postgres' ability to start.

So there may be a benefit in finding a way to have no SysV memory at
all. I wouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good to make progress
here, but it appears this was a witnessed real problem, so it may be
worth reconsidering if there is a way we can safely remove all SysV by
finding an alternative to the nattach mechanic.

--
fdr

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 6/26/12 2:13 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar jun 26 15:49:59 -0400 2012:

>>> I don't think that patch was all that reasonable.  It needed work, and
>>> in any case it needs a rebase because it was pretty old.
>>
>> Yep, agreed.
>>
>> I'd like to get this fixed too, but it hasn't made it up to the top of
>> my list of things to worry about.
>
> Was there a post-AgentM version of the patch, which incorporated the
> small SySV RAM partition?  I'm not finding it.

To my knowledge, no.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

> On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
> small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
> heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
> that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
> problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
> on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
> being installed. This is most likely on platforms that don't have a
> high SysV shmem limit by default, so installers all feel the
> prerogative to increase the limit, but there's no great answer for how
> to compose a series of such installations. It only takes one
> installer that says "whatever, I'm just catenating stuff to
> sysctl.conf that works for me" to sabotage Postgres' ability to start.

Personally, I see this as rather an extreme case, and aside from AgentM
himself, have never run into it before. Certainly it would be useful to
not need SysV RAM at all, but it's more important to get a working patch
for 9.3.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
>> small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
>> heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
>> that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
>> problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
>> on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
>> being installed.  This is most likely on platforms that don't have a
>> high SysV shmem limit by default, so installers all feel the
>> prerogative to increase the limit, but there's no great answer for how
>> to compose a series of such installations.  It only takes one
>> installer that says "whatever, I'm just catenating stuff to
>> sysctl.conf that works for me" to sabotage Postgres' ability to start.
>
> Personally, I see this as rather an extreme case, and aside from AgentM
> himself, have never run into it before.  Certainly it would be useful to
> not need SysV RAM at all, but it's more important to get a working patch
> for 9.3.

+1.

I'd sort of given up on finding a solution that doesn't involve system
V shmem anyway, but now that I think about it... what about using a
FIFO? The man page for open on MacOS X says:

[ENXIO] O_NONBLOCK and O_WRONLY are set, the file is a FIFO,
and no process has it open for reading.

And Linux says:

ENXIO O_NONBLOCK | O_WRONLY is set, the named file is a FIFO and no
process has the file open for reading. Or, the file is a device
special file and no corresponding device exists.

And HP/UX says:

[ENXIO] O_NDELAY is set, the named file is a FIFO,
O_WRONLY is set, and no process has the file open
for reading.

So, what about keeping a FIFO in the data directory? When the
postmaster starts up, it tries to open the file with O_NONBLOCK |
O_WRONLY (or O_NDELAY | O_WRONLY, if the platform has O_NDELAY rather
than O_NONBLOCK). If that succeeds, it bails out. If it fails with
anything other than ENXIO, it bails out. If it fails with exactly
ENXIO, then it opens the pipe with O_RDONLY and arranges to pass the
file descriptor down to all of its children, so that a subsequent open
will fail if it or any of its children are still alive.

This might even be more reliable than what we do right now, because
our current system appears not to be robust against the removal of
postmaster.pid.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Excerpts from Daniel Farina's message of mar jun 26 17:40:16 -0400 2012:

> On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
> small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
> heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
> that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
> problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
> on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
> being installed.

This argument is what killed the original patch. If you want to get
anything done *at all* I think it needs to be dropped. Changing shmem
implementation is already difficult enough --- you don't need to add the
requirement that the interlocking mechanism be changed simultaneously.
You (or whoever else) can always work on that as a followup patch.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Alvaro Herrera

> Excerpts from Daniel Farina's message of mar jun 26 17:40:16 -0400 2012:
>
>> On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
>> small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
>> heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
>> that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
>> problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
>> on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
>> being installed.
>
> This argument is what killed the original patch. If you want to get
> anything done *at all* I think it needs to be dropped. Changing shmem
> implementation is already difficult enough --- you don't need to add the
> requirement that the interlocking mechanism be changed simultaneously.
> You (or whoever else) can always work on that as a followup patch.

True, but then again, I did very intentionally write:

> Excerpts from Daniel Farina's message of mar jun 26 17:40:16 -0400 2012:
>> *I wouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good* to make progress
>> here, but it appears this was a witnessed real problem, so it may
>> be worth reconsidering if there is a way we can safely remove all
>> SysV by finding an alternative to the nattach mechanic.

(Emphasis mine).

I don't think that -hackers at the time gave the zero-shmem rationale
much weight (I also was not that happy about the safety mechanism of
that patch), but upon more reflection (and taking into account *other*
software that may mangle shmem settings) I think it's something at
least worth thinking about again one more time. What killed the patch
was an attachment to the deemed-less-safe stategy for avoiding bogus
shmem attachments already in it, but I don't seem to recall anyone
putting a whole lot of thought at the time into the zero-shmem case
from what I could read on the list, because a small interlock with
nattach seemed good-enough.

I'm simply suggesting that for additional benefits it may be worth
thinking about getting around nattach and thus SysV shmem, especially
with regard to safety, in an open-ended way. Maybe there's a solution
(like Robert's FIFO suggestion?) that is not too onerous and can
satisfy everyone.

--
fdr

On Jun 26, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> On that, I used to be of the opinion that this is a good compromise (a
>> small amount of interlock space, plus mostly posix shmem), but I've
>> heard since then (I think via AgentM indirectly, but I'm not sure)
>> that there are cases where even the small SysV segment can cause
>> problems -- notably when other software tweaks shared memory settings
>> on behalf of a user, but only leaves just-enough for the software
>> being installed. This is most likely on platforms that don't have a
>> high SysV shmem limit by default, so installers all feel the
>> prerogative to increase the limit, but there's no great answer for how
>> to compose a series of such installations. It only takes one
>> installer that says "whatever, I'm just catenating stuff to
>> sysctl.conf that works for me" to sabotage Postgres' ability to start.
>
> Personally, I see this as rather an extreme case, and aside from AgentM
> himself, have never run into it before. Certainly it would be useful to
> not need SysV RAM at all, but it's more important to get a working patch
> for 9.3.

This can be trivially reproduced if one runs an old (SysV shared memory-based) postgresql alongside a potentially newer postgresql with a smaller SysV segment. This can occur with applications that bundle postgresql as part of the app.

Cheers,