Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump -s dumps data?!

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump -s dumps data?!
Date: 2012-01-27 22:19:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

hiu
I have weird situation.
pg 9.1.2, compilet by our own script from source, on 10+ machines.
on fours machines, pg_dump -s <database_name> - dumps with data!:

postgres(at)machine:~$ pg_dump --verbose --schema-only dbname > q
pg_dump: creating TABLE x1
pg_dump: restoring data for table "x2"
pg_dump: dumping contents of table x2
pg_dump: restoring data for table "x3"
pg_dump: dumping contents of table x3

What could be wrong?

Same pg_dump call on the same host, but for different database dumps just schema!?

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
http://depesz.com/

On 01/27/2012 02:19 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> hiu
> I have weird situation.
> pg 9.1.2, compilet by our own script from source, on 10+ machines.
> on fours machines, pg_dump -s<database_name> - dumps with data!:

Are those 4 machines different from the other 6+?
What does the script do?
I am guessing you have not seen this in previous versions of postgres?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 03:00:24PM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/27/2012 02:19 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> >hiu
> >I have weird situation.
> >pg 9.1.2, compilet by our own script from source, on 10+ machines.
> >on fours machines, pg_dump -s<database_name> - dumps with data!:
>
> Are those 4 machines different from the other 6+?

no idea. same os, same installation of pg.

> What does the script do?

the compilation? just runs ./conmfigure with some options, make and make
install.

> I am guessing you have not seen this in previous versions of postgres?

that's the first time I saw this. and we never had older pg on thess
machines.

there is some suggestion that it might be related to extensions ... but
I am not sure what/how to check.

Best regards,

depesz

On 01/27/2012 03:05 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 03:00:24PM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 01/27/2012 02:19 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
>>> hiu
>>> I have weird situation.
>>> pg 9.1.2, compilet by our own script from source, on 10+ machines.
>>> on fours machines, pg_dump -s<database_name> - dumps with data!:
>>
>> Are those 4 machines different from the other 6+?
>
> no idea. same os, same installation of pg.

So much for that idea:)

>> What does the script do?
>
> the compilation? just runs ./conmfigure with some options, make and make
> install.

Not sure that it makes a difference, but on the chance it does, what are
the options and are they the same for all machines?

>> I am guessing you have not seen this in previous versions of postgres?
>
> that's the first time I saw this. and we never had older pg on thess
> machines.
>
> there is some suggestion that it might be related to extensions ... but
> I am not sure what/how to check.

I am not going to much help here, as I am still learning the extension
mechanism. For the sake of others that might have a clue, what are the
extensions involved?
Also, are all the tables having their data dumped or only those that
relate to extensions?