Checkpoint sync pause

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Checkpoint sync pause
Date: 2012-01-16 07:57:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Last year at this point, I submitted an increasingly complicated
checkpoint sync spreading feature. I wasn't able to prove any
repeatable drop in sync time latency from those patches. While that was
going on, and continuing into recently, the production server that
started all this with its sync time latency issues didn't stop having
that problem. Data collection continued, new patches were tried.

There was a really simple triage step Simon and I made before getting
into the complicated ones: just delay for a few seconds between every
single sync call made during a checkpoint. That approach is still
hanging around that server's patched PostgreSQL package set, and it
still works better than anything more complicated we've tried so far.
The recent split of background writer and checkpointer makes that whole
thing even easier to do without rippling out to have unexpected
consequences.

In order to be able to tune this usefully, you need to know information
about how many files a typical checkpoint syncs. That could be
available without needing log scraping using the "Publish checkpoint
timing and sync files summary data to pg_stat_bgwriter" addition I just
submitted. People who set this new checkpoint_sync_pause value too high
can face checkpoints running over schedule, but you can measure how bad
your exposure is with the new view information.

I owe the community a lot of data to prove this is useful before I'd
expect it to be taken seriously. I was planning to leave this whole
area alone until 9.3. But since recent submissions may pull me back
into trying various ways of rearranging the write path for 9.2, I wanted
to have my own miniature horse in that race. It works simply:

2012-01-16 02:39:01.184 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync: number=34
file=base/16385/11766 time=0.006 msec
2012-01-16 02:39:01.184 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=3
2012-01-16 02:39:01.284 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=2
2012-01-16 02:39:01.385 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=1
2012-01-16 02:39:01.860 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync: number=35
file=global/12007 time=375.710 msec
2012-01-16 02:39:01.860 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=3
2012-01-16 02:39:01.961 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=2
2012-01-16 02:39:02.061 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync delay:
seconds left=1
2012-01-16 02:39:02.161 EST [25052]: DEBUG: checkpoint sync: number=36
file=base/16385/11754 time=0.008 msec
2012-01-16 02:39:02.555 EST [25052]: LOG: checkpoint complete: wrote
2586 buffers (63.1%); 1 transaction log file(s) added, 0 removed, 0
recycled; write=2.422 s, sync=13.282 s, total=16.123 s; sync files=36,
longest=1.085 s, average=0.040 s

No docs yet, really need a better guide to tuning checkpoints as they
exist now before there's a place to attach a discussion of this to.

checkpoint-sync-pause-v1.patch text/x-patch 5.7 KB

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.184 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync: number=34
> file=base/16385/11766 time=0.006 msec
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.184 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=3
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.284 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=2
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.385 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=1
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.860 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync: number=35
> file=global/12007 time=375.710 msec
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.860 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=3
> 2012-01-16 02:39:01.961 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=2
> 2012-01-16 02:39:02.061 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync delay: seconds
> left=1
> 2012-01-16 02:39:02.161 EST [25052]: DEBUG:  checkpoint sync: number=36
> file=base/16385/11754 time=0.008 msec
> 2012-01-16 02:39:02.555 EST [25052]: LOG:  checkpoint complete: wrote 2586
> buffers (63.1%); 1 transaction log file(s) added, 0 removed, 0 recycled;
> write=2.422 s, sync=13.282 s, total=16.123 s; sync files=36, longest=1.085
> s, average=0.040 s
>
> No docs yet, really need a better guide to tuning checkpoints as they exist
> now before there's a place to attach a discussion of this to.

Yeah, I think this is an area where a really good documentation patch
might help more users than any code we could write. On the technical
end, I dislike this a little bit because the parameter is clearly
something some people are going to want to set, but it's not at all
clear what value they should set it to and it has complex interactions
with the other checkpoint settings - and the user's hardware
configuration. If there's no way to make it more self-tuning, then
perhaps we should just live with that, but it would be nice to come up
with something more user-transparent. Also, I am still struggling
with what the right benchmarking methodology even is to judge whether
any patch in this area "works". Can you provide more details about
your test setup?

Just one random thought: I wonder if it would make sense to cap the
delay after each sync to the time spending performing that sync. That
would make the tuning of the delay less sensitive to the total number
of files, because we won't unnecessarily wait after each sync when
they're not actually taking any time to complete. It's probably
easier to estimate the number of segments that are likely to contain
lots of dirty data than to estimate the total number of segments that
you might have touched at least once since the last checkpoint, and
there's no particular reason to think the latter is really what you
should be tuning on anyway.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company