xlog location arithmetic

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: xlog location arithmetic
Date: 2011-12-06 04:19:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

A while ago when blogging about WAL [1], I noticed a function to deal with
xlog location arithmetic is wanted. I remembered Depez [2] mentioning it and
after some questions during trainings and conferences I decided to translate
my shell script function in C.

The attached patch implements the function pg_xlog_location_diff (bikeshed
colors are welcome). It calculates the difference between two given
transaction log locations. Now that we have pg_stat_replication view, it will
be easy to get the lag just passing columns as parameters. Also, the
monitoring tools could take advantage of it instead of relying on a fragile
routine to get the lag.

I noticed that pg_xlogfile_name* functions does not sanity check the xrecoff
boundaries but that is material for another patch.

[1] http://eulerto.blogspot.com/2011/11/understanding-wal-nomenclature.html
[2]
http://www.depesz.com/index.php/2011/01/24/waiting-for-9-1-pg_stat_replication/

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira http://www.timbira.com.br/

xlogdiff.patch text/x-patch 5.1 KB

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 05:19, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago when blogging about WAL [1], I noticed a function to deal with
> xlog location arithmetic is wanted. I remembered Depez [2] mentioning it and
> after some questions during trainings and conferences I decided to translate
> my shell script function in C.
>
> The attached patch implements the function pg_xlog_location_diff (bikeshed
> colors are welcome). It calculates the difference between two given
> transaction log locations. Now that we have pg_stat_replication view, it will
> be easy to get the lag just passing columns as parameters. Also, the
> monitoring tools could take advantage of it instead of relying on a fragile
> routine to get the lag.

I've been considering similar things, as you can find in the archives,
but what I was thinking of was converting the number to just a plain
bigint, then letting the user apply whatever arithmetic wanted at the
SQL level. I never got around to acutally coding it, though. It could
easily be extracted from your patch of course - and I think that's a
more flexible approach. Is there some advantage to your method that
I'm missing?

Also, why do you use DirectFunctionCall to do the simple math, and not
just do the math right there in the function?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/