ECPG, sentence not complete

Lists: pgsql-docs
From: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ECPG, sentence not complete
Date: 2011-06-03 09:16:27
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi, we're translating the ecpg.xml from scratch in french, as it seems
to have moved a lot with 9.0 and 9.1.

I'm having trouble with this:

3948 <term><literal>desc_next</></term>
3949 <listitem>
3950 <para>
3951 If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
SQLDA structures
3952 are returned, the first record is stored in the SQLDA
returned in the
3953 </para>
3954 </listitem>

Seems to me there are some words missing, but maybe it's a continuation
to the next paragraph. Anyway I don't want to guess what should be
there, so if anyone can explain this to me :)

Cheers

Marc

> Hi, we're translating the ecpg.xml from scratch in french, as it seems
> to have moved a lot with 9.0 and 9.1.
>
> I'm having trouble with this:
>
> 3948<term><literal>desc_next</></term>
> 3949<listitem>
> 3950<para>
> 3951 If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
> SQLDA structures
> 3952 are returned, the first record is stored in the SQLDA
> returned in the
> 3953</para>
> 3954</listitem>
>
> Seems to me there are some words missing, but maybe it's a continuation
> to the next paragraph. Anyway I don't want to guess what should be
> there, so if anyone can explain this to me :)

This problem has been living since 9.0 or before.

I think it should be rewritten as following:
If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
SQLDA structures are returned, and <literal>desc_next</>
holds a pointer to the next element (record) in the list.

Thanks,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>

Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think it should be rewritten as following:
> If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
> SQLDA structures are returned, and <literal>desc_next</>
> holds a pointer to the next element (record) in the list.

"more than one records" isn't right -- it could be "multiple
records" or "more than one record".

-Kevin

On 06/03/2011 08:30 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I think it should be rewritten as following:
>> If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
>> SQLDA structures are returned, and <literal>desc_next</>
>> holds a pointer to the next element (record) in the list.
>
> "more than one records" isn't right -- it could be "multiple
> records" or "more than one record".
>
> -Kevin
Hi, I've found another problem in ECPG's doc:

<varlistentry>
<term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_DATE_CONVERT</></term>
<listitem>
<para>
Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1210
(the
<productname>Informix</productname> definition).
</para>
</listitem>
</varlistentry>

<varlistentry>
<term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_OUT_OF_MEMORY</></term>
<listitem>
<para>
Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1211
(the
<productname>Informix</productname> definition).
</para>
</listitem>
</varlistentry>

There are a few words missing.

Cheers

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-06-04 19:12:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

On lör, 2011-06-04 at 03:10 +0900, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/06/03 18:16, Marc Cousin wrote:
> > Hi, we're translating the ecpg.xml from scratch in french, as it seems
> > to have moved a lot with 9.0 and 9.1.
> >
> > I'm having trouble with this:
> >
> > 3948<term><literal>desc_next</></term>
> > 3949<listitem>
> > 3950<para>
> > 3951 If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
> > SQLDA structures
> > 3952 are returned, the first record is stored in the SQLDA
> > returned in the
> > 3953</para>
> > 3954</listitem>
> >
> > Seems to me there are some words missing, but maybe it's a continuation
> > to the next paragraph. Anyway I don't want to guess what should be
> > there, so if anyone can explain this to me :)
>
> This problem has been living since 9.0 or before.
>
> I think it should be rewritten as following:
> If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
> SQLDA structures are returned, and <literal>desc_next</>
> holds a pointer to the next element (record) in the list.

Fixed.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-06-04 19:30:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

From: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-06-05 09:08:30
Lists: pgsql-docs

Sorry to give them as small batches like that. I've found 3 other ones
(the last ones I hope, as I've finished translating everything else from
the file).
Same problem as before, there are a few words missing.

<term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_BAD_EXPONENT</></term>
<listitem>
<para>
Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1216
(the
<productname>Informix</productname> definition).
</para>
</listitem>
</varlistentry>

<varlistentry>
<term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_BAD_DATE</></term>
<listitem>
<para>
Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1218
(the
<productname>Informix</productname> definition).
</para>
</listitem>
</varlistentry>

<varlistentry>
<term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_EXTRA_CHARS</></term>
<listitem>
<para>
Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1264

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-06-09 22:48:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

Marc Cousin wrote:

> On 06/03/2011 08:30 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think it should be rewritten as following:
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >> If the query returns more than one records, multiple linked
> >> SQLDA structures are returned, and <literal>desc_next</>
> >> holds a pointer to the next element (record) in the list.
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "more than one records" isn't right -- it could be "multiple
> > records" or "more than one record".
> >
> > -Kevin
> Hi, I've found another problem in ECPG's doc:
>
> <varlistentry>
> <term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_DATE_CONVERT</></term>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1210
> (the
> <productname>Informix</productname> definition).
> </para>
> </listitem>
> </varlistentry>
>
> <varlistentry>
> <term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_OUT_OF_MEMORY</></term>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1211
> (the
> <productname>Informix</productname> definition).
> </para>
> </listitem>
> </varlistentry>
>
> There are a few words missing.

I have applied the attached patch to fix these cases, and clean up the
wording a little. Thanks for the report. It is great you are
translating the docs into French.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

/rtmp/ecpg text/x-diff 6.1 KB

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-06-09 22:48:47
Lists: pgsql-docs

Marc Cousin wrote:
> Sorry to give them as small batches like that. I've found 3 other ones
> (the last ones I hope, as I've finished translating everything else from
> the file).
> Same problem as before, there are a few words missing.
>
> <term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_BAD_EXPONENT</></term>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1216
> (the
> <productname>Informix</productname> definition).
> </para>
> </listitem>
> </varlistentry>
>
> <varlistentry>
> <term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_BAD_DATE</></term>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1218
> (the
> <productname>Informix</productname> definition).
> </para>
> </listitem>
> </varlistentry>
>
> <varlistentry>
> <term><literal>ECPG_INFORMIX_EXTRA_CHARS</></term>
> <listitem>
> <para>
> Functions return this value if Internally it is defined to -1264
> (the
> <productname>Informix</productname> definition).
> </para>
> </listitem>
>
> Marc

Sorry, these are the cases I fixed.