Re: Major features for 9.1

Lists: pgsql-advocacy
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,<pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-10 16:12:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua Berkus wrote:

> SSI: PostgreSQL first

First *production* implementation. The 2008 ACM SIGMOD paper
included a prototype implementation in Oracle Berkeley DB, and
Michael Cahill's 2009 doctoral thesis included a prototype
implementation in InnoDB. Even though Cahill was hired by Oracle in
2009, I haven't been able to find any indication that Oracle has
included this technology in any production release of either of these
products, or any other. I've checked their documentations without
finding references to anything but S2PL based SERIALIZABLE
implementations.

Having also tediously gone through every result page in in several
google searches using likely words, and diving into all pages which
look like they *could* refer to SSI, I haven't found any that
actually *do*.

I just wanted to provide enough detail to fashion a strong statement
that someone couldn't pick apart on the basis of the prototypes from
the academic papers.

-Kevin

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:12:24 -0500, "Kevin Grittner"
> Joshua Berkus wrote:
>
>> SSI: PostgreSQL first
>
> First *production* implementation. The 2008 ACM SIGMOD paper
> included a prototype implementation in Oracle Berkeley DB, and
> Michael Cahill's 2009 doctoral thesis included a prototype
> implementation in InnoDB. Even though Cahill was hired by Oracle in
> 2009, I haven't been able to find any indication that Oracle has
> included this technology in any production release of either of these
> products, or any other. I've checked their documentations without
> finding references to anything but S2PL based SERIALIZABLE
> implementations.
>
> Having also tediously gone through every result page in in several
> google searches using likely words, and diving into all pages which
> look like they *could* refer to SSI, I haven't found any that
> actually *do*.
>
> I just wanted to provide enough detail to fashion a strong statement
> that someone couldn't pick apart on the basis of the prototypes from
> the academic papers.

I think you made our own argument though. We are releasing a "production"
version of SSI. Nobody else has done that.

JD

> -Kevin

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997