Re: Top five challenges

Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: criticism about hosting download packages
Date: 2011-02-22 08:44:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Hello,

we discussed this a few days ago on the German PostgreSQL channel.
Stefan plead to tell it -www.

Here is the fact that I most dislike:
When you want to download a PostgreSQL package then you get
linked to EnterpriseDB.
When you now want to download a special package you get a register
page.
I know it is not mandatory to register but
sorry, but that is a kind of fishing for addresses in my eyes.

Best Regards,

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht
Bielefeld

2011/2/22 Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>:
> Hello,
>
> we discussed this a few days ago on the German PostgreSQL channel.
> Stefan plead to tell it -www.
>
> Here is the fact that I most dislike:
> When you want to download a PostgreSQL package then you get
> linked to EnterpriseDB.
> When you now want to download a special package you get a register
> page.
> I know it is not mandatory to register but
> sorry, but that is a kind of fishing for addresses in my eyes.

Yes it is. It has already been reported and I believe it won't change
on the EDB side :-( (not to say that EDB was known to do that and get
some unfortunate glitchs in the past)
In our side, we can review the dowload area and add explanations for
third parties packages ?

This is a rgular topic of -www, and the last time I have been bounced
to the 'archive' ... Long history of mails to read before going ahead.

> Best Regards,
>
> Susanne
>
> --
> Susanne Ebrecht
> Bielefeld

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:29, Cédric Villemain
<cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2011/2/22 Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we discussed this a few days ago on the German PostgreSQL channel.
>> Stefan plead to tell it -www.
>>
>> Here is the fact that I most dislike:
>> When you want to download a PostgreSQL package then you get
>> linked to EnterpriseDB.
>> When you now want to download a special package you get a register
>> page.
>> I know it is not mandatory to register but
>> sorry, but that is a kind of fishing for addresses in my eyes.
>>

> Yes it is. It has already been reported and I believe it won't change
> on the EDB side :-( (not to say that EDB was known to do that and get
> some unfortunate glitchs in the past)
> In our side, we can review the dowload area and  add explanations for
> third parties packages ?

Yes.

And the same applies as last time - please bring a suggestion :-)
Preferrably in the form of a patch, or at least a mock-up...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

2011/2/22 Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:29, Cédric Villemain
> <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 2011/2/22 Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> we discussed this a few days ago on the German PostgreSQL channel.
>>> Stefan plead to tell it -www.
>>>
>>> Here is the fact that I most dislike:
>>> When you want to download a PostgreSQL package then you get
>>> linked to EnterpriseDB.
>>> When you now want to download a special package you get a register
>>> page.
>>> I know it is not mandatory to register but
>>> sorry, but that is a kind of fishing for addresses in my eyes.
>>>

>> Yes it is. It has already been reported and I believe it won't change
>> on the EDB side :-( (not to say that EDB was known to do that and get
>> some unfortunate glitchs in the past)
>> In our side, we can review the dowload area and  add explanations for
>> third parties packages ?

Rah, sorry, it was supposed to be a dot not a question-mark.

> Yes.
>
> And the same applies as last time - please bring a suggestion :-)
> Preferrably in the form of a patch, or at least a mock-up...
>
> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> >> Yes it is. It has already been reported and I believe it won't change
> >> on the EDB side :-( (not to say that EDB was known to do that and get
> >> some unfortunate glitchs in the past)
> >> In our side, we can review the dowload area and add explanations for
> >> third parties packages ?
>
> Rah, sorry, it was supposed to be a dot not a question-mark.

The only way the EDB page will not be prominent is if the community
starts maintaining its own one-click packages that provide the same
level of functionality. Nobody has offered to put that effort in.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

2011/2/22 Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:

>> Rah, sorry, it was supposed to be a dot  not a question-mark.
>
> The only way the EDB page will not be prominent is if the community
> starts maintaining its own one-click packages that provide the same
> level of functionality. Nobody has offered to put that effort in.

I am happy that EDB maintain those packages. It is great and benefit
to lot of PostgreSQL users.
The issue is not with EDB page being prominent but with the bad taste
of the registration form which lead users to confusion.

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 20:44 +0100, Cédric Villemain wrote:

> >> Rah, sorry, it was supposed to be a dot not a question-mark.
> >
> > The only way the EDB page will not be prominent is if the community
> > starts maintaining its own one-click packages that provide the same
> > level of functionality. Nobody has offered to put that effort in.
>
> I am happy that EDB maintain those packages. It is great and benefit
> to lot of PostgreSQL users.
> The issue is not with EDB page being prominent but with the bad taste
> of the registration form which lead users to confusion.

Right but that isn't our concern. EDB should and can do whatever they
wish with that download page. It is up to the community to decide
whether or not how they handle it is reasonable.

EDB *DESERVES* to be able to collect information if a person wants to
download THEIR package. It isn't a .Org package. It is a EDB package.

I would also note that the page automatically starts downloading the
package if you are running any modern browser. It does not require
registration at all and even states that on the page.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor