Re: Default mode for shutdown

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Default mode for shutdown
Date: 2010-12-15 11:47:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm sure this has been up before, but hey, let's take it another round.

Why don't we change the default shutdown mode for pg_ctl from "smart"
to "fast"? I've never come across a single usecase where "smart" is
what people *want*... Not sure if others have?

Yes, I realize it's somewhat of a backwards compatibility thing - but
it will at least not change things for most packages, since I believe
all those use "fast" anyway.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

> I'm sure this has been up before, but hey, let's take it another round.
> Why don't we change the default shutdown mode for pg_ctl from "smart"
> to "fast"? I've never come across a single usecase where "smart" is
> what people *want*...

Really? Personally I'm quite happy with that default.

regards, tom lane