Re: "serializable" in comments and names

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Dan Ports" <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: "serializable" in comments and names
Date: 2010-09-01 15:02:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There are many comments in the code which use "serializable
transaction" to mean "transaction snapshot based transaction". This
doesn't matter much as long as REPEATABLE READ and SERIALIZABLE
transaction isolation levels behave identically, but will be
confusing and inaccurate when there is any difference between the
two. In a similar way, the static bool registered_serializable in
snapmgr.c will become misleading, and the IsXactIsoLevelSerializable
macro is bound to lead to confusion.

The patch to implement true serializable transactions using SSI
renames/rewords these things to avoid confusion. However, there are
seven files which are changed only for this reason, and another
where there is one "real" change of two lines hidden in the midst of
dozens of lines of such wording changes. I find it distracting to
have all this mixed in, and I fear that it will be a time-waster for
anyone reviewing the meat of the patch. I'd like to submit a
"no-op" patch to cover these issues in advance of the CF, to get
them out of the way. Joe suggested that I pose the issue to the
-hackers list.

I could knock out a couple other files from the main patch if people
considered it acceptable to enable the SHMQueueIsDetached function
now, which the patch uses in several places within asserts. I would
remove the #ifdef NOT_USED from around the (very short) function,
and add it to the .h file.

The changes to the comments and local variables seem pretty safe.
The change of IsXactIsoLevelSerializable to
IsXactIsoLevelXactSnapshotBased (or whatever name the community
prefers) could break the compile of external code; but the fix would
be pretty obvious. It's hard to see how the change of a local
variable name would present a lot of risk. So I see this as an
extremely low-risk no-op patch to lay the groundwork for the main
patch, so that it is easier to read.

Thoughts?

-Kevin

On Sep 1, 2010, at 11:02 AM, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> The patch to implement true serializable transactions using SSI
> renames/rewords these things to avoid confusion. However, there are
> seven files which are changed only for this reason, and another
> where there is one "real" change of two lines hidden in the midst of
> dozens of lines of such wording changes. I find it distracting to
> have all this mixed in, and I fear that it will be a time-waster for
> anyone reviewing the meat of the patch. I'd like to submit a
> "no-op" patch to cover these issues in advance of the CF, to get
> them out of the way. Joe suggested that I pose the issue to the
> -hackers list.

+1.

> I could knock out a couple other files from the main patch if people
> considered it acceptable to enable the SHMQueueIsDetached function
> now, which the patch uses in several places within asserts. I would
> remove the #ifdef NOT_USED from around the (very short) function,
> and add it to the .h file.

-1.

> The changes to the comments and local variables seem pretty safe.
> The change of IsXactIsoLevelSerializable to
> IsXactIsoLevelXactSnapshotBased (or whatever name the community
> prefers)

How about IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot? Just to be a bit shorter.

...Robert

>> I could knock out a couple other files from the main patch if
>> people considered it acceptable to enable the SHMQueueIsDetached
>> function now, which the patch uses in several places within
>> asserts. I would remove the #ifdef NOT_USED from around the
>> (very short) function, and add it to the .h file.
>
> -1.

OK, I'll leave that part out.

>> The changes to the comments and local variables seem pretty
>> safe. The change of IsXactIsoLevelSerializable to
>> IsXactIsoLevelXactSnapshotBased (or whatever name the community
>> prefers)
>
> How about IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot? Just to be a bit shorter.

I need two macros -- one which has the same definition as the
current IsXactIsoLevelSerializable, to be used everywhere the old
macro name currently is used, which conveys that it is an isolation
level which is based on a transaction snapshot rather than statement
snapshots (i.e., REPEATABLE READ or SERIALIZABLE) and a new macro
(which I was planning to call IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable) which
conveys that it is the SERIALIZABLE isolation level. Do you feel
that IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot works with
IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable to convey the right semantics? If
not, what would you suggest?

I'm not attached to any particular names; what matters is that when
people see them, they get the right meanings from them. I have some
concern that IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot might suggest that it excludes
the fully serializable transaction isolation level.

-Kevin

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Kevin Grittner
>> How about IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot?  Just to be a bit shorter.
>
> I need two macros -- one which has the same definition as the
> current IsXactIsoLevelSerializable, to be used everywhere the old
> macro name currently is used, which conveys that it is an isolation
> level which is based on a transaction snapshot rather than statement
> snapshots (i.e., REPEATABLE READ or SERIALIZABLE) and a new macro
> (which I was planning to call IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable) which
> conveys that it is the SERIALIZABLE isolation level.  Do you feel
> that IsXactIsoLevelSnapshot works with
> IsXactIsoLevelFullySerializable to convey the right semantics?  If
> not, what would you suggest?

OK, I see what you were going for. The current definition is:

#define IsXactIsoLevelSerializable (XactIsoLevel >= XACT_REPEATABLE_READ)

...which is certainly a bit odd, since you'd think it would be
comparing against XACT_SERIALIZABLE given the name.

IsXactIsoLevelRepeatableRead()?

XactUsesPerXactSnapshot()?

Or, inverting the sense of it, XactUsesPerStatementSnapshot()?

Just brainstorming...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company