Re: ECPG - Some errno definitions don't match to the manual

Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-general
From: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ECPG - Some errno definitions don't match to the manual
Date: 2010-07-22 13:29:52
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm looking into some ecpg part of the official manual,
and I have found some strange things.

I'm now investigating SQLCODE and SQLSTATE, and I have found
that some of the errno definitions don't match to the manual.

For example, the manual says that ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL could be `-207'.
However, ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL is defined as `-211' in ecpgerrno.h.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ecpg-errors.html

> #define ECPG_NUMERIC_FORMAT -207
> #define ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL -211

http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/include/ecpgerrno.h?rev=1.27;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup;only_with_tag=REL9_0_STABLE

What does it mean? The manual is not up to date?

Any suggestions?

NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>

2010/7/22 Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking into some ecpg part of the official manual,
> and I have found some strange things.
>
> I'm now investigating SQLCODE and SQLSTATE, and I have found
> that some of the errno definitions don't match to the manual.
>
> For example, the manual says that ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL could be `-207'.
> However, ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL is defined as `-211' in ecpgerrno.h.
>
>> -207 (ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL)
>>
>>     This means the host variable is of type bool and the datum in the database is neither 't' nor 'f'. (SQLSTATE 42804)
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/ecpg-errors.html
>
>> #define ECPG_NUMERIC_FORMAT           -207
>> #define ECPG_CONVERT_BOOL             -211
>
> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg/include/ecpgerrno.h?rev=1.27;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup;only_with_tag=REL9_0_STABLE
>
> What does it mean? The manual is not up to date?

Yeah, I think that's what it means. Perhaps you could provide a patch
for the docs?

Another question is whether we oughn't to remove all mention of the
specific values of these constants from the documentation. That
wouldn't prevent all problems in this area, because constants can
still be added and removed, but ISTM that including the specific
numerical values here is encouraging people to depend on those values
when they probably shouldn't.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

>> I'm now investigating SQLCODE and SQLSTATE, and I have found
>> that some of the errno definitions don't match to the manual.

>> What does it mean? The manual is not up to date?
>
> Yeah, I think that's what it means. Perhaps you could provide a patch
> for the docs?

Sure, I will make a patch for this. Please wait a moment.

> Another question is whether we oughn't to remove all mention of the
> specific values of these constants from the documentation. That
> wouldn't prevent all problems in this area, because constants can
> still be added and removed, but ISTM that including the specific
> numerical values here is encouraging people to depend on those values
> when they probably shouldn't.

Hmm, it's a difficult point. From the application programmers' viewpoint, error codes and error numbers would be an interface between their application and PostgreSQL internals. So I think (and I hope) it should be in the programmer's manual. On the other hand, from the PostgreSQL developer's viewpoint, it is hard to maintain all of documents up to date. So removing them from the manual will make maintenance easier.

I found that this difference was generated by the very very old change in the code repository. And I think it would never be happen anymore, because nowadays PostgreSQL developers, especially code reviewers, always require "document updates/patches" for any patches before applying. (as all you know :)

I agree with that taking care about both code and documents is not so easy, but the current review/development process seems to be appropriate.

Any comments or suggestions?

On 2010/08/10 1:36, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
> On 2010/08/09 21:27, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I'm now investigating SQLCODE and SQLSTATE, and I have found
>>> that some of the errno definitions don't match to the manual.
>
>>> What does it mean? The manual is not up to date?
>>
>> Yeah, I think that's what it means. Perhaps you could provide a patch
>> for the docs?
>
> Sure, I will make a patch for this. Please wait a moment.

A patch to fix this problem is attached.
Please take a look.

NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>

Attachment Content-Type Size
ecpg.sgml.90b1.patch text/plain 8.8 KB

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Satoshi Nagayasu
<satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I think that's what it means. Perhaps you could provide a patch
>>> for the docs?
>>
>> Sure, I will make a patch for this. Please wait a moment.
>
> A patch to fix this problem is attached.
> Please take a look.

I've applied the portion of this patch that just fixes the existing
entries to match ecpgerrno.h, and have back-patched it all the way
back to 7.4, since the contents of ecpgerrno.h haven't changed in the
interim. The remainder of this will need more review than I can give
it right now: since I'm not familiar with ECPG, I can't easily verify
that the new entries you've added are correct. I'd suggest posting a
new version and adding it here:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Satoshi Nagayasu
> <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> A patch to fix this problem is attached.
>> Please take a look.
>
> I've applied the portion of this patch that just fixes the existing
> entries to match ecpgerrno.h, and have back-patched it all the way
> back to 7.4, since the contents of ecpgerrno.h haven't changed in the
> interim. The remainder of this will need more review than I can give
> it right now: since I'm not familiar with ECPG, I can't easily verify
> that the new entries you've added are correct. I'd suggest posting a
> new version and adding it here:
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open

Thank you for the commit, and I'll put the remainder
to the commitfest page.

NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>