Re: Rewrite, normal execution vs. EXPLAIN ANALYZE

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Rewrite, normal execution vs. EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2010-07-22 17:43:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

From the code I understood that when executing a query "normally", in
READ COMMITTED mode, we take a new snapshot for every query that comes
out of rewrite. But in an EXPLAIN ANALYZE, we only update the CID of
the snapshot taken when the EXPLAIN started.

Did I misunderstand the code? And if I didn't, why do we do this
differently?

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 08:43:35PM +0300, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From the code I understood that when executing a query "normally",
> in READ COMMITTED mode, we take a new snapshot for every query that
> comes out of rewrite. But in an EXPLAIN ANALYZE, we only update the
> CID of the snapshot taken when the EXPLAIN started.
>
> Did I misunderstand the code? And if I didn't, why do we do this
> differently?

You mentioned in IRC that this was in aid of getting wCTEs going. How
are these things connected?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!