Re: pgstat wait timeout (by Robert Schnabel)

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: Alexey Luchko <luch(at)ank-sia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgstat wait timeout (by Robert Schnabel)
Date: 2009-12-16 13:31:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi!

We've got the same issue with PostgreSQL 8.4.1 on 32 bit Windows 2003
Server RC2. Every minute the message "pgstat wait timeout" appears in Event
Viewer / Application Log.

We've tried to restart the service. It was looking like the service stopped
successfully, but two postgres.exe processes left running. One of them was
utilizing one core. It had no tcp connections in any state. It was
"C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/postgres.exe" "--forkcol" "1228"

sysinternals' procexp.exe showes the following stack for this process:
"""
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x8dace
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x29a62
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x33178
hal.dll+0x6199
hal.dll+0x63d9
hal.dll+0x6577
hal.dll+0x3902
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x89721
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
mswsock.dll!ServiceMain+0x2949
mswsock.dll!NSPStartup+0x1893
WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x486
WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x660
WS2_32.dll!WSAEventSelect+0x2f
postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x181b38
postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x18bbdb
"""

After it was killed the following appeared in the application log:
LOG: statistics collector process (PID 2680) exited with exit code 1

The service was started again and was working for aprox. 18 hours with no
errors. Then the message started appearing again.

The plan is to try PG 8.4.2.

Advices and questions are welcome ;)

--
Alexey

sms stands for save my soul

> We've tried to restart the service. It was looking like the service
> stopped successfully, but two postgres.exe processes left running.
> One of them was utilizing one core. It had no tcp connections in any
> state. It was
> "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/postgres.exe" "--forkcol" "1228"
>
> sysinternals' procexp.exe showes the following stack for this process:
> """
> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x8dace
> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x29a62
> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x33178
> hal.dll+0x6199
> hal.dll+0x63d9
> hal.dll+0x6577
> hal.dll+0x3902
> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x89721
> ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
> mswsock.dll!ServiceMain+0x2949
> mswsock.dll!NSPStartup+0x1893
> WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x486
> WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x660
> WS2_32.dll!WSAEventSelect+0x2f
> postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x181b38
> postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x18bbdb
> """

This stack trace seems bogus. The stats collector should not be calling
mdpostckpt at all.

On 16-12-2009 16:28, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alexey Luchko wrote:
>
>> We've tried to restart the service. It was looking like the service
>> stopped successfully, but two postgres.exe processes left running.
>> One of them was utilizing one core. It had no tcp connections in any
>> state. It was
>> "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/postgres.exe" "--forkcol" "1228"
>>
>> sysinternals' procexp.exe showes the following stack for this process:
>> """
>> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x8dace
>> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x29a62
>> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x33178
>> hal.dll+0x6199
>> hal.dll+0x63d9
>> hal.dll+0x6577
>> hal.dll+0x3902
>> ntkrnlpa.exe+0x89721
>> ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
>> mswsock.dll!ServiceMain+0x2949
>> mswsock.dll!NSPStartup+0x1893
>> WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x486
>> WS2_32.dll!WSAUnhookBlockingHook+0x660
>> WS2_32.dll!WSAEventSelect+0x2f
>> postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x181b38
>> postgres.exe!mdpostckpt+0x18bbdb
>> """
>
> This stack trace seems bogus. The stats collector should not be calling
> mdpostckpt at all.

It seems that the process left and the stack trace is from the process
waiting for the stats collector.

--
Alexey