Re: Winflex

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Winflex
Date: 2009-12-12 16:58:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Using
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/misc/winflex/

on a 64-bit windows, but in 32-bit mode (this certainly used to work),
trying to build HEAD.

first of all, it returns error code 128 when running "flex -V", which
means our script claims it doesn't work. Commenting out that check, it
crashes along the line of:
Running flex on src\backend\utils\misc\guc-file.l
14 [main] flex 2372 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Sometimes it doesn't crash, but do this instead:
Running flex on src\backend\parser\scan.l
c:\gnuwin32\bin\m4.exe:stdin:16769: ERROR: end of file in string
Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 128 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\cm
d.exe'.

If I run it a couple of times, it eventually completes. But then bombs
out because the generated files aren't complete.

Anybody else seen this? Am I forgetting something typical?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/

> on a 64-bit windows, but in 32-bit mode (this certainly used to work),
> trying to build HEAD.
>
> first of all, it returns error code 128 when running "flex -V", which
> means our script claims it doesn't work. Commenting out that check, it
> crashes along the line of:
> Running flex on src\backend\utils\misc\guc-file.l
> 14 [main] flex 2372 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>
> Sometimes it doesn't crash, but do this instead:
> Running flex on src\backend\parser\scan.l
> c:\gnuwin32\bin\m4.exe:stdin:16769: ERROR: end of file in string
> Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 128 returned from 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\cm
> d.exe'.
>

> If I run it a couple of times, it eventually completes. But then bombs
> out because the generated files aren't complete.
>
> Anybody else seen this? Am I forgetting something typical?

Hmm.

I don't have a 64bit Windows box, so I doubt I can test this. I can set
up a 64bit VM but I'd need to get my hands on a 64bit version of Windows.

cheers

andrew

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 21:19, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> Using
>> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/misc/winflex/
>>
>> on a 64-bit windows, but in 32-bit mode (this certainly used to work),
>> trying to build HEAD.
>>
>> first of all, it returns error code 128 when running "flex -V", which
>> means our script claims it doesn't work. Commenting out that check, it
>> crashes along the line of:
>> Running flex on src\backend\utils\misc\guc-file.l
>>     14 [main] flex 2372 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
>> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>>
>> Sometimes it doesn't crash, but do this instead:
>> Running flex on src\backend\parser\scan.l
>> c:\gnuwin32\bin\m4.exe:stdin:16769: ERROR: end of file in string
>> Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 128 returned from
>> 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\cm
>> d.exe'.
>>

>> If I run it a couple of times, it eventually completes. But then bombs
>> out because the generated files aren't complete.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this? Am I forgetting something typical?
>>

> Hmm.
>
> I don't have a 64bit Windows box, so I doubt I can test this. I can set up a
> 64bit VM but I'd need to get my hands on a 64bit version of Windows.

I use Amazon EC2 for this. Trivial to get up, and almost free when you
use it for very short periods of time.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 21:19, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>>> Using
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/misc/winflex/
>>>
>>> on a 64-bit windows, but in 32-bit mode (this certainly used to work),
>>> trying to build HEAD.
>>>
>>> first of all, it returns error code 128 when running "flex -V", which
>>> means our script claims it doesn't work. Commenting out that check, it
>>> crashes along the line of:
>>> Running flex on src\backend\utils\misc\guc-file.l
>>> 14 [main] flex 2372 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
>>> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>>>
>>> Sometimes it doesn't crash, but do this instead:
>>> Running flex on src\backend\parser\scan.l
>>> c:\gnuwin32\bin\m4.exe:stdin:16769: ERROR: end of file in string
>>> Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result 128 returned from
>>> 'C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\cm
>>> d.exe'.
>>>

>>> If I run it a couple of times, it eventually completes. But then bombs
>>> out because the generated files aren't complete.
>>>
>>> Anybody else seen this? Am I forgetting something typical?
>>>

>> Hmm.
>>
>> I don't have a 64bit Windows box, so I doubt I can test this. I can set up a
>> 64bit VM but I'd need to get my hands on a 64bit version of Windows.
>>

> I use Amazon EC2 for this. Trivial to get up, and almost free when you
> use it for very short periods of time.

Yes. I spent a few cents and a few hours wrestling with it. AFAICT your
are hosed on 64bit Windows. I can't get flex built and Cygwin is
behaving very oddly. There are indications that the problem could be
fairly deep - see
<http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com/msg102463.html>

I can try again with Cygwin 1.7. and see if that improves matters, but I
bet it doesn't.

cheers

andrew