Re: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is"char"

Lists: pgsql-bugs
From: "Joseph Shraibman" <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5028: CASE returns ELSE value always when type is "char"
Date: 2009-09-01 16:36:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5028
Logged by: Joseph Shraibman
Email address: jks(at)selectacast(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
Operating system: Linux
Details:

[local]:playpen=> SELECT version();
version

-------------------------------
PostgreSQL 8.3.7 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)
(1 row)

Time: 1.658 ms
[local]:playpen=>
[local]:playpen=> select c.relkind, CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's'
THEN 'special' WHEN 'c' THEN 'composite type' WHEN 't' THEN 'toast' ELSE
c.relkind
playpen-> END from (select 'r'::"char" AS relkind) c;
relkind | relkind
---------+---------
r | t
(1 row)

Time: 1.407 ms
[local]:playpen=>
[local]:playpen=> select c.relkind, CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's'
THEN 'special' WHEN 'c' THEN 'composite type' WHEN 't' THEN 'toast'
playpen-> END from (select 'r'::"char" AS relkind) c;
relkind | case
---------+-------
r | table
(1 row)

Time: 0.426 ms
[local]:playpen=>
[local]:playpen=>
[local]:playpen=> select c.relkind, CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's'
THEN 'special' WHEN 'c' THEN 'composite type' WHEN 't' THEN 'toast' ELSE
c.relkind
playpen-> END from (select 'r'::char AS relkind) c;
relkind | relkind
---------+---------
r | table
(1 row)

It appears the problem is with the "char" being in the ELSE expression,
not being in the CASE expression

[local]:playpen=> select c.relkind, CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN
's' THEN 'special' WHEN 'c' THEN 'composite type' WHEN 't' THEN 'toast'
ELSE c.relkind::char
playpen-> END from (select 'r'::"char" AS relkind) c;
relkind | relkind
r | table
(1 row)

Time: 0.674 ms
[local]:playpen=> select c.relkind, CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN
's' THEN 'special' WHEN 'c' THEN 'composite type' WHEN 't' THEN 'toast'
ELSE c.relkind::"char"