dict-xsyn converts word to synlist, what about backwards?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Igor Katson <descentspb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: dict-xsyn converts word to synlist, what about backwards?
Date: 2009-02-03 12:21:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On my question about doing a first name search by it's synonyms, like

William Will Bill Billy
James Jim Jimmy

Oleg answered, that I can use dict_xsyn for that.

In the dict_xsyn manual, it is said that:
"This dictionary type replaces words with groups of their synonyms, and
so makes it
possible to search for a word using any of its synonyms"

This means, that if the dictionary sees the name "William", it will
replace it with "William Will Bill Billy", so that I can search with any
of them.

But what if the parser sees the word "Billy"? I want it to do absolutely
the same. If not, as far as I understand, I will make a default synonym
dictionary with pairs like:

will william
bill william
billy william etc.

Is there a way not to use this?

> On my question about doing a first name search by it's synonyms, like
>
> William Will Bill Billy
> James Jim Jimmy
>
> Oleg answered, that I can use dict_xsyn for that.
>
> In the dict_xsyn manual, it is said that:
> "This dictionary type replaces words with groups of their synonyms, and so
> makes it
> possible to search for a word using any of its synonyms"
>
> This means, that if the dictionary sees the name "William", it will replace
> it with "William Will Bill Billy", so that I can search with any of them.
>
> But what if the parser sees the word "Billy"? I want it to do absolutely the
> same. If not, as far as I understand, I will make a default synonym
> dictionary with pairs like:
>
> will william
> bill william
> billy william etc.
>
> Is there a way not to use this?

no, but you always can generate rules for that using other tools.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

>> On my question about doing a first name search by it's synonyms, like
>>
>> William Will Bill Billy
>> James Jim Jimmy
>>
>> Oleg answered, that I can use dict_xsyn for that.
>>
>> In the dict_xsyn manual, it is said that:
>> "This dictionary type replaces words with groups of their synonyms,
>> and so makes it
>> possible to search for a word using any of its synonyms"
>>
>> This means, that if the dictionary sees the name "William", it will
>> replace it with "William Will Bill Billy", so that I can search with
>> any of them.
>>
>> But what if the parser sees the word "Billy"? I want it to do
>> absolutely the same. If not, as far as I understand, I will make a
>> default synonym dictionary with pairs like:
>>
>> will william
>> bill william
>> billy william etc.
>>
>> Is there a way not to use this?
>
> no, but you always can generate rules for that using other tools.

Thanks. Oleg, and what do you think about creating an xsyn dictionary
like with e.g. a python script:
William Will Bill Billy
Will William Bill Billy
Bill William Will Billy
Billy William Will Bill ?

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Igor Katson <descentspb(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-02-03 14:08:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I contacted with author of dict_xsyn, so probably, he'll add option to
support what you want.

Oleg

From: Igor Katson <descentspb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-02-03 14:30:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> I contacted with author of dict_xsyn, so probably, he'll add option to
> support what you want.
Thanks for cooperation, Oleg. By now, I will use that workaround.