Re: literal limits in 8.3

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
From: "V S P" <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [Q]updating multiple rows with Different values
Date: 2008-11-23 03:04:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello,
searched documentation, FAQ and mailing list archives
(mailing list archive search is volumous :-) )

but could not find an answer:

I would like to be able to update
several rows to different values at the same time

In oracle this used to be called Array update or
'collect' update or 'bulk' update -- but those
keywords did not bring anything for Postgresql.

for example tbl_1 has two columns id and col1

update tbl_1 set
col1=3 where id=25,
col1=5 where id=26

I am using PHP PDO (and hoping that if there is a mechanism
within postgresql to do that PDO will support it as well).

Thank you in advance,
VSP

--
V S P
toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm

wherever you are

V S P <toreason(at)fastmail(dot)fm> schrieb:

> Hello,
> searched documentation, FAQ and mailing list archives
> (mailing list archive search is volumous :-) )
>
> but could not find an answer:
>
> I would like to be able to update
> several rows to different values at the same time
>
> In oracle this used to be called Array update or
> 'collect' update or 'bulk' update -- but those
> keywords did not bring anything for Postgresql.

test=# create table foo (id int, val int);
CREATE TABLE
Zeit: 0,837 ms
test=*# insert into foo values (1,1);
INSERT 0 1
Zeit: 0,434 ms
test=*# insert into foo values (2,2);
INSERT 0 1
Zeit: 0,298 ms
test=*# update foo set val = case when id=1 then 10 when id=2 then 20
end;
UPDATE 2
Zeit: 0,424 ms
test=*# select * from foo;
id | val
----+-----
1 | 10
2 | 20
(2 Zeilen)

Is this okay for you?

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:04:48PM -0500, V S P wrote:
> Hello,
> searched documentation, FAQ and mailing list archives
> (mailing list archive search is volumous :-) )
>
> but could not find an answer:
>
> I would like to be able to update
> several rows to different values at the same time
>
> In oracle this used to be called Array update or
> 'collect' update or 'bulk' update -- but those
> keywords did not bring anything for Postgresql.
>
> for example tbl_1 has two columns id and col1
>

> update tbl_1 set
> col1=3 where id=25,
> col1=5 where id=26

Something like this?

UPDATE tbl_1 SET col1 = t.col1 FROM (VALUES
(25, 3)
(26, 5)
) AS t(id, col1)
WHERE tbl_1.id = t.id;

> I am using PHP PDO (and hoping that if there is a mechanism
> within postgresql to do that PDO will support it as well).
>
> Thank you in advance,
> VSP

Regards,
Gerhard