Re: ODBC Driver crash with MS Access 2007 (from GENERAL)

Lists: pgsql-odbc
From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Driver crash with MS Access 2007 (from GENERAL)
Date: 2008-10-01 05:33:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi

I'm currently encountering an interesting issue with the PostgreSQL ODBC
driver on Windows. I'm unlucky enough to have to use MS Access 2007 for
a project at the moment, with PostgreSQL providing the storage through
ODBC. It all works as well as can be expected from Access, except that
MS Access crashes when it quits.

The crash only occurs when the PostgreSQL ODBC driver has been used. If
the Access database file is opened but only Access-internal tables are
operated on, there's no crash when Access quits.

The crash occurs whether a file, system, or user DSN is being used.
I can reproduce this on two different machines. It happens with or
without SSL in use. It affects any Access 2007 database with a
PostgreSQL ODBC connection in use, including a newly created blank
database with a freshly linked table.

Because Windows is full of stripped binaries and limited debugging tools
I'm not able to get anything as useful as a backtrace at the moment.
I've had a quick look and strangely the crash address doesn't seem to be
part of the address space mapped to any DLLs. Windows Crash Reporter
seems to agree, in that it indicates that the module name is "unknown".

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm used to debugging problems on platforms with
luxuries like symbol names in binaries, or at least my own code on
win32 where I can build it for debugging.

Anybody else seeing, or seen, similar issues?

--
Craig Ringer

Which version of psqlodbc driver are you using ?

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently encountering an interesting issue with the PostgreSQL ODBC
> driver on Windows. I'm unlucky enough to have to use MS Access 2007 for
> a project at the moment, with PostgreSQL providing the storage through
> ODBC. It all works as well as can be expected from Access, except that
> MS Access crashes when it quits.
>
> The crash only occurs when the PostgreSQL ODBC driver has been used. If
> the Access database file is opened but only Access-internal tables are
> operated on, there's no crash when Access quits.
>
> The crash occurs whether a file, system, or user DSN is being used.
> I can reproduce this on two different machines.

Could you send me directly the Mylog output ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue