Building Postgres in Eclipse

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Building Postgres in Eclipse
Date: 2008-10-08 12:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I am building Postgres using Eclipse with the CDT plugins (pre-packaged
distrib from eclipse.org). I am wondering if anyone else is using
Eclipse here?
If I am not the only one, we could setup a page on the Wiki explaining
how to setup the project under Eclipse and share our settings.

Cheers,
manu

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am building Postgres using Eclipse with the CDT plugins (pre-packaged
> distrib from eclipse.org). I am wondering if anyone else is using Eclipse
> here?
> If I am not the only one, we could setup a page on the Wiki explaining how
> to setup the project under Eclipse and share our settings.

I don't know of anyone else actually working that way, but I've
certainly heard of people wanting to. It would be good if you can
document what you've done for their benefit.

--
Dave Page

> I don't know of anyone else actually working that way, but I've
> certainly heard of people wanting to. It would be good if you can
> document what you've done for their benefit.

Any recommendation where I should setup the page?

manu

From: Chris Mayfield <cmayfiel(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-10-08 13:51:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am building Postgres using Eclipse with the CDT plugins (pre-packaged
> distrib from eclipse.org). I am wondering if anyone else is using
> Eclipse here?

I've been using Eclipse to build and debug postgres for the past couple
of years. There's nothing to it really, since all it does is call make
and gdb for you.

> If I am not the only one, we could setup a page on the Wiki explaining
> how to setup the project under Eclipse and share our settings.

Here's what I've found works well, regardless of your platform:

Step 1, from a shell: configure and make postgres as usual

Step 2a, in Eclipse: New Project -> C Project -> Makefile project

Step 2b: uncheck "Use default location" and select the postgres source
dir (i.e. where you ran configure in step 1)

So basically you just tell Eclipse where the files are, and you're done.
Once you create the project it takes a few minutes to index the code
for the first time (e.g. for jumping to declarations / references).

--Chris

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Emmanuel Cecchet" <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-10-08 13:52:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:11 PM, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> I don't know of anyone else actually working that way, but I've
>> certainly heard of people wanting to. It would be good if you can
>> document what you've done for their benefit.
>>

> Any recommendation where I should setup the page?

Perhaps a 'Working with Eclipse' page under
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information ?

--
Dave Page

From: Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-10-10 20:14:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Dave,
> Perhaps a 'Working with Eclipse' page under
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
I have added a link at the bottom of the page.
All the info on how to use Eclipse with Postgres can be found at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse

All suggestions and comments are welcome of course.
Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Cecchet
FTO @ Frog Thinker

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Emmanuel Cecchet" <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-10-10 20:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Emmanuel Cecchet <manu(at)frogthinker(dot)org> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Perhaps a 'Working with Eclipse' page under
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
>
> I have added a link at the bottom of the page.
> All the info on how to use Eclipse with Postgres can be found at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse

Very impressive - thanks for taking the time.

--
Dave Page

From: Chris Mayfield <cmayfiel(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2008-10-13 14:15:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have added a link at the bottom of the page.
> All the info on how to use Eclipse with Postgres can be found at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse
>
> All suggestions and comments are welcome of course.
> Emmanuel

Looks great, thanks!

--Chris