Postgres-R source code release

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Markus Wanner <markus(dot)wanner(at)programmfabrik(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres-R source code release
Date: 2008-07-14 15:42:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Hackers,

it has been two years, since I've presented my work on Postgres-R for
the first time to a broader audience in Toronto. I continued maintaining
that code in my spare time, but to be honest, I didn't have much time
for it.

As much as I'd like to change that, I now think the best thing for the
project itself is to open it up and release the source code. I'd very
much like to get others aboard and turn Postgres-R into a real community
project again. Of course, the recent core statement about wanting an
integrated replication solution also influenced my decision, even though
I realize that Postgres-R is way more ambitious path than a log shipping
solution.

As a first step towards a community project, I've cleaned up the code
and tried to comment and document it as good as I can. You are welcome
to download the latest patch from http://www.postgres-r.org/downloads/.
It expects to be applied against today's CVS HEAD. You'll find a README
and a pretty exhaustive TODO file under src/backend/replication/.

I plan to write a series of more technical mails following this one, to
start the discussion about the internals of Postgres-R and decisions I
made. That should give some starting points for those interested it the
project.

In case you are wondering: I've got married and I'm glad to tell you
that I changed my very German sounding name Schiltknecht to a more
pronounceable one: my new surname is Wanner.

Looking forward to inspiring discussions with fellow hackers.

Regards

Markus Wanner

Attachment Content-Type Size
diffstat.txt text/plain 5.5 KB

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:42 +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> As much as I'd like to change that, I now think the best thing for the
> project itself is to open it up and release the source code. I'd very
> much like to get others aboard and turn Postgres-R into a real
> community project again. Of course, the recent core statement about
> wanting an integrated replication solution also influenced my
> decision, even though I realize that Postgres-R is way more ambitious
> path than a log shipping solution.
>
> As a first step towards a community project, I've cleaned up the code
> and tried to comment and document it as good as I can. You are welcome
> to download the latest patch from
> http://www.postgres-r.org/downloads/.

That's good news, really.

> In case you are wondering: I've got married and I'm glad to tell you
> that I changed my very German sounding name Schiltknecht to a more
> pronounceable one: my new surname is Wanner.

Congrats :)
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
http://www.gunduz.org

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Markus Wanner
<markus(dot)wanner(at)programmfabrik(dot)de> wrote:
> As a first step towards a community project, I've cleaned up the code and
> tried to comment and document it as good as I can. You are welcome to
> download the latest patch from http://www.postgres-r.org/downloads/. It
> expects to be applied against today's CVS HEAD. You'll find a README and a
> pretty exhaustive TODO file under src/backend/replication/.

Awesome!

> In case you are wondering: I've got married

Congratulations!

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> Dear Hackers,
>
> it has been two years, since I've presented my work on Postgres-R for
> the first time to a broader audience in Toronto. I continued maintaining
> that code in my spare time, but to be honest, I didn't have much time
> for it.
>
> As much as I'd like to change that, I now think the best thing for the
> project itself is to open it up and release the source code. I'd very
> much like to get others aboard and turn Postgres-R into a real community
> project again. Of course, the recent core statement about wanting an
> integrated replication solution also influenced my decision, even though
> I realize that Postgres-R is way more ambitious path than a log shipping
> solution.
>
> As a first step towards a community project, I've cleaned up the code
> and tried to comment and document it as good as I can. You are welcome
> to download the latest patch from http://www.postgres-r.org/downloads/.
> It expects to be applied against today's CVS HEAD. You'll find a README
> and a pretty exhaustive TODO file under src/backend/replication/.

Would you mind if I were to make a git branch for it on
<http://git.postgresql.org/> ?

> In case you are wondering: I've got married

Congratulations!

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:

> Would you mind if I were to make a git branch for it on
> <http://git.postgresql.org/> ?

That's very likely wasted effort, since obviously Markus has got a
Monotone tree somewhere ...

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:28PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
>
> > Would you mind if I were to make a git branch for it on
> > <http://git.postgresql.org/> ?
>
> That's very likely wasted effort, since obviously Markus has got a
> Monotone tree somewhere ...

I'm curious as to your motive behind continual deriding any effort to
get git going on branches. Do you have some other alternative in mind?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:28PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> >
> > > Would you mind if I were to make a git branch for it on
> > > <http://git.postgresql.org/> ?
> >
> > That's very likely wasted effort, since obviously Markus has got a
> > Monotone tree somewhere ...
>
> I'm curious as to your motive behind continual deriding any effort to
> get git going on branches. Do you have some other alternative in mind?

That's not my intention. It's just that the two cases that have popped
up are not useful. The with-recursive one because upstream does not use
it. If that can be solved, then I have no objection and I think it
would be a good thing. This one because it would be messy. I think the
way to go here is to have Markus open up his Monotone repo, or convince
him to migrate it to Git, but I really doubt that's ever going to
happen.

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 14:41 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:35:28PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
> > > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Markus Wanner wrote:
> >
> > > Would you mind if I were to make a git branch for it on
> > > <http://git.postgresql.org/> ?
> >
> > That's very likely wasted effort, since obviously Markus has got a
> > Monotone tree somewhere ...
>
> I'm curious as to your motive behind continual deriding any effort to
> get git going on branches. Do you have some other alternative in mind?

Obviously monotone, but I think the point is, Git gives them nothing
Monotone doesn't. Of course, I am personally happy with SVN but hey :P

Joshua D. Drake

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:22:47PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 14:41 -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > > That's very likely wasted effort, since obviously Markus has got
> > > a Monotone tree somewhere ...
> >
> > I'm curious as to your motive behind continual deriding any effort
> > to get git going on branches. Do you have some other alternative
> > in mind?
>
> Obviously monotone, but I think the point is, Git gives them nothing
> Monotone doesn't.

Apart from being able to interoperate with CVS, you mean? ;)

> Of course, I am personally happy with SVN but hey :P

You can't have tried a merge in SVN if that's so :P :P

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

On Jul 14, 2008, at 16:54, David Fetter wrote:

>> Of course, I am personally happy with SVN but hey :P
>
> You can't have tried a merge in SVN if that's so :P :P

Those of us who have been doing it for years, in CVS and in SVN,
aren't too worried about it.

Best,

David

On 15/07/2008, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Of course, I am personally happy with SVN but hey :P
> >
> > You can't have tried a merge in SVN if that's so :P :P
>
> Those of us who have been doing it for years, in CVS and in SVN, aren't too
> worried about it.

Follow the sandal! :D

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.