Re: Support for integrated tsearch configuration

Lists: pgadmin-hackers
From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Support for integrated tsearch configuration
Date: 2008-06-27 22:45:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I have five days, full time, to work on this new feature. Here is my idea:

* add a "Text Search" node under the database node;
* add a Configurations node;
* add a Dictionarys node;
* add a Parsers node;
* add a Templates node.

Each of the four last nodes will have a property dialog.

I don't think there's much more things we can do to have a better
integration of the tsearch configuration.

Comments?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have five days, full time, to work on this new feature. Here is my idea:

Thanks to Dalibo :-)

> * add a "Text Search" node under the database node;
> * add a Configurations node;
> * add a Dictionarys node;
> * add a Parsers node;
> * add a Templates node.
>
> Each of the four last nodes will have a property dialog.
>
> I don't think there's much more things we can do to have a better
> integration of the tsearch configuration.
>
> Comments?

Sounds pretty straightforward - except there may be some odd side
effects of the 'Text Search node. Everything is pretty much designed
around the idea that we alternate between collection nodes and object
nodes. There are some exceptions - just don't assume it'll be entirely
simple!

--
Dave Page

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have five days, full time, to work on this new feature. Here is my idea:
>
> Thanks to Dalibo :-)

:)

>> * add a "Text Search" node under the database node;
>> * add a Configurations node;
>> * add a Dictionarys node;
>> * add a Parsers node;
>> * add a Templates node.
>>
>> Each of the four last nodes will have a property dialog.
>>
>> I don't think there's much more things we can do to have a better
>> integration of the tsearch configuration.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Sounds pretty straightforward - except there may be some odd side
> effects of the 'Text Search node. Everything is pretty much designed
> around the idea that we alternate between collection nodes and object
> nodes. There are some exceptions - just don't assume it'll be entirely
> simple!

Nothing is really simple on pgAdmin's coding (says the guy who tries
hardly to compile it under Windows since last evening... grmbl... :) ).

I was sure I was following the "collection nodes and objects nodes" way
of doing. Here are some ascii artwork:

- Databases (3)
+ DB1
+ DB2
- DB3
+ Catalogs (2)
+ Casts (0)
+ Languages (0)
+ Schemas (1)
+ Replication (0)
- Text Search
+ Configurations (2)
+ Dictionaries (2)
+ Parsers (2)
+ Templates (2)

Seems you're right. The Text search node is neither a collection neither
an object one. Unfortunately, I don't have a better one.

I need to think a bit more about this.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> Nothing is really simple on pgAdmin's coding (says the guy who tries hardly
> to compile it under Windows since last evening... grmbl... :) ).

That shouldn't be hard - what was the problem?

> I was sure I was following the "collection nodes and objects nodes" way of
> doing. Here are some ascii artwork:
>
> - Databases (3)
> + DB1
> + DB2
> - DB3
> + Catalogs (2)
> + Casts (0)
> + Languages (0)
> + Schemas (1)
> + Replication (0)
> - Text Search
> + Configurations (2)
> + Dictionaries (2)
> + Parsers (2)
> + Templates (2)
>
> Seems you're right. The Text search node is neither a collection neither an
> object one. Unfortunately, I don't have a better one.

Logically I think the design is correct - the only 'more correct' way
would be to put the objects directly under a database, but that would
be quite ugly I think.

What you propose should work - it just might need a little thought.
Maybe we need a 'pgGroupObject' node type. Something to ponder on in
spare minutes rather than your 5 days I suspect :-)

--
Dave Page

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> > Nothing is really simple on pgAdmin's coding (says the guy who tries
> hardly
> > to compile it under Windows since last evening... grmbl... :) ).
>
> That shouldn't be hard - what was the problem?

You really think so? Getting pgAdmin to compile in Windows is very
difficult. I thought it was done on purpose to make people dislike
Windows.

Jon

>> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>>> Nothing is really simple on pgAdmin's coding (says the guy who tries
>> hardly
>>> to compile it under Windows since last evening... grmbl... :) ).
>> That shouldn't be hard - what was the problem?
>

> You really think so? Getting pgAdmin to compile in Windows is very
> difficult. I thought it was done on purpose to make people dislike
> Windows.

I won't go as far as Jon, but it sure isn't easy. At least, for me.

But anyways, it works now ;) And I see your issue with my patch. I'll
work on it quite soon.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org