Server Status window work

Lists: pgadmin-hackers
From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server Status window work
Date: 2008-06-15 07:45:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

The roadmap still shows I need to work on the server status window. But
it doesn't explain what I have in mind. Dave gave me some hints and
todos. Here is my todo list on this :

* Replace the wxNotebook widget with the wxAuiNotebook so users can
close tabs and rearrange tabs order via drag-and-drop.

* Add the possibility to open many Server Status windows (we can
already do this with the SQL query tool) so a user can see many
reports at the same time.

* Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
slider, filter and sort options.

* Add graph reports for different statistics views, something like
the Gnome System Monitor but specific to PostgreSQL (transaction
rate, read/hit ratio, number of connections, bgwriter stats come to
mind).

* Better display of the logfile (probably using the log_line_prefix
option to know which informations are available).

* Command line options to start the Server Status window on it's own,
much as we can already do with the query tool.

* Colour coding for the backend lines. Say green for running OK, orange
for running, but with the query time being past a configurable limit,
blue for idle, and red when waiting for a lock etc.

* The ability to select a running backend, and copy the query straight
into a new query tool window (caveat: the stats command string may be
truncated, and still contain parameter placeholders).

* Ability to select a backend process and display just the locks
it's holding, and the one it's waiting on.

* (bit more complex) Display the locks in a logical tree rather than a
list (applies to the previous point as well as the current tab).

The last five are Dave's ideas. I just copy/paste one of his emails.

I know this is a huge todo list and I don't pretend doing everything
alone and for the next release. Actually, I think I'll do one patch for
each todo. I hope to begin the work on this next week.

Comments? Ideas?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The roadmap still shows I need to work on the server status window. But it
> doesn't explain what I have in mind. Dave gave me some hints and todos. Here
> is my todo list on this :

Snip todo list...

> The last five are Dave's ideas. I just copy/paste one of his emails.
>
> I know this is a huge todo list and I don't pretend doing everything alone
> and for the next release. Actually, I think I'll do one patch for each todo.
> I hope to begin the work on this next week.
>
> Comments? Ideas?

I'm glad you're still planning to work on this :-). I'd be happy to
see this being achieved over time in multiple patches.

I won't comment on the actual todo's - we already discussed them as you know.

--
Dave Page

> The roadmap still shows I need to work on the server status window. But
> it doesn't explain what I have in mind. Dave gave me some hints and
> todos.

At last, I'm working on this.

> Here is my todo list on this :
> [...]
> * Command line options to start the Server Status window on it's own,
> much as we can already do with the query tool.

The patch attached implements this. It seems I just copy and paste the
query tool code, and in fact it's true. Not sure if I should refactor
that code. It'll be less readable.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
serverstatus_p6_v1.patch text/x-patch 5.0 KB

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> [...]
>> The roadmap still shows I need to work on the server status window. But
>> it doesn't explain what I have in mind. Dave gave me some hints and
>> todos.
>
> At last, I'm working on this.

You don't have long - PG beta is planned for February.

>> Here is my todo list on this :
>> [...]
>> * Command line options to start the Server Status window on it's own,
>> much as we can already do with the query tool.
>>

> The patch attached implements this. It seems I just copy and paste the
> query tool code, and in fact it's true. Not sure if I should refactor
> that code. It'll be less readable.

Yeah - I'd be inclined to leave it. It's not clear how it could be
usefully re-jiggered.

Please commit if you're happy it tests OK. It looks reasonable to my eyes.

--
Dave Page

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>> The roadmap still shows I need to work on the server status window. But
>>> it doesn't explain what I have in mind. Dave gave me some hints and
>>> todos.
>> At last, I'm working on this.
>
> You don't have long - PG beta is planned for February.

Which means pgAdmin too ? or do we have some more time ? this will be
pretty hard to add support for PostgreSQL new features in such a small
delay.

>>> Here is my todo list on this :
>>> [...]
>>> * Command line options to start the Server Status window on it's own,
>>> much as we can already do with the query tool.
>>>
>> The patch attached implements this. It seems I just copy and paste the
>> query tool code, and in fact it's true. Not sure if I should refactor
>> that code. It'll be less readable.
>
> Yeah - I'd be inclined to leave it. It's not clear how it could be
> usefully re-jiggered.
>
> Please commit if you're happy it tests OK. It looks reasonable to my eyes.

Done, thanks.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org