Re: Commitfest status

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Commitfest status
Date: 2008-03-07 14:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The first commitfest has been on for about a week now, but I haven't
seem much festivities going on.

Do we plan to drain Bruce's patch queue completely during this
commitfest? Or the items on the developer wiki TODO:PatchStatus list?
When do we declare the commitfest to be over?

Bruce's queue has many patches in there that haven't had any activity,
and not all of the items are patches. The wiki is not quite up-to-date
either. Looking at the items in the wiki, here's my quick triage of the
items that have no reviewer assigned:

Dead space map - We want something that doesn't require a shared mem
block. It should also be crash-safe. I gave this, and the FSM a lot of
thought last Autumn, and I plan to work on this for 8.4, but the patch
as submitted is not acceptable.

On disk Bitmap Index - Needs work, abandoned by Gavin. No amount of
review will change that.

POSIX shared memory support - Doesn't seem like it's worth it, frankly.
I won't object if someone wants to put this in, but I'm not interested
to spend time on it myself.

stream bitmaps (API change for Group Index Tuples) - By me. I'm not
planning to work on this currently, as there's not much need for this
without bitmap indexes and grouped index tuples.

bitmap scan changes - same here

Grouped Index Tuples/Cluster Indexes - I'm not currently planning to
work on this further.

Group commit - just discussion, no patch

Maintaining cluster order on insert - AFAICT, rejected by Tom, because
the gain demonstrated by his test case was not worth adding so much
code. I don't think that was a good test case, as clustering in general
won't help much when the table fits in memory. There should be a bigger
gain on other workloads, but I'm not planning to work on this for now.

support for dumping only functions in pg_dump - An interesting patch,
needs some cleanup though. Would be nice to have support for other
objects than functions as well.

current_query - I don't understand why this is needed. What's the use case?

make --enable-integer-datetime the default - This needs more agreement
than review. Not that anyone is objecting, AFAIK.

TOAST thresholds - Not sure what this is. There is a patch by Tom here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-02/msg00053.php that
looks ok to me.

Avahi support - I don't know enough about this to comment

DTrace enhancements - I don't know enough about this either to comment

--
Heikki Linnakangas

> The first commitfest has been on for about a week now, but I haven't
> seem much festivities going on.
>
> Do we plan to drain Bruce's patch queue completely during this
> commitfest? Or the items on the developer wiki TODO:PatchStatus list?
> When do we declare the commitfest to be over?
>
> Bruce's queue has many patches in there that haven't had any activity,
> and not all of the items are patches. The wiki is not quite up-to-date
> either. Looking at the items in the wiki, here's my quick triage of the
> items that have no reviewer assigned:

I am basically 1-2 days away from having the patch queue full/complete,
at which point I think we are going to need to make some decisions, as
you mentioned. Lots of items are unclear and just need a decision if it
is a TODO, patch work, or just discarded.