Re: PostgreSQL Array Use

Lists: pgsql-general
From: dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Array Use
Date: 2008-03-03 17:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
The project MyJSQLView will provided basic support
for array types in PostgreSQL at the next release.
Information is desired from anyone that uses arrays
in PostgreSQL to effect this support. Just a couple
of questions.

1. What Size, <10 or 100's, 1000's of elements?
2. Single or Multi-Dimensional?
3. What data types?

Any input would be welcome.
Thanks,
danap.

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 10:42:50AM -0700, dmp wrote:

> The project MyJSQLView will provided basic support
> for array types in PostgreSQL at the next release.

> Information is desired from anyone that uses arrays
> in PostgreSQL to effect this support.

> 1. What Size, <10 or 100's, 1000's of elements?

<50 elements

> 2. Single or Multi-Dimensional?

single

> 3. What data types?

text

Karsten
wiki.gnumed.de
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

> The project MyJSQLView will provided basic support
> for array types in PostgreSQL at the next release.
> Information is desired from anyone that uses arrays
> in PostgreSQL to effect this support. Just a couple
> of questions.
>
> 1. What Size, <10 or 100's, 1000's of elements?

100's

> 2. Single or Multi-Dimensional?

Single

> 3. What data types?

Integers and Characters

On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Josh Trutwin wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:42:50 -0700
> dmp <danap(at)ttc-cmc(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> The project MyJSQLView will provided basic support
>> for array types in PostgreSQL at the next release.
>> Information is desired from anyone that uses arrays
>> in PostgreSQL to effect this support. Just a couple
>> of questions.
>>
>> 1. What Size, <10 or 100's, 1000's of elements?
>
> 100's
>
>> 2. Single or Multi-Dimensional?
>
> Single
>
>> 3. What data types?
>
> Integers and Characters

Where are you getting this information. Here's the first three
sentences from the manual's chapter on arrays:

" PostgreSQL allows columns of a table to be defined as variable-
length multidimensional arrays. Arrays of any built-in or user-
defined base type can be created. (Arrays of composite types or
domains are not yet supported, however.)"

In addition, wrt question #1, I haven't found anything specifying any
kind of limit on the number of elements and array field can hold. I
would thus expect that you'd be more limited by 1G field size limit
via TOAST, i.e. the total size of the elements would be capped at 1G
which would be a different number of elements for different types.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888