Re: [HACKERS] Unclarity of configure options

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unclarity of configure options
Date: 2007-09-28 14:05:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

The current (CVS version) configure script has the following options
(among many others):

--enable-dtrace build with DTrace support
--with-ossp-uuid build with OSSP UUID library for UUID generation
--with-libxml build with XML support
--with-libxslt build with XSLT support

One could think that adding any of this option to ./configure before
building Postgres from sources, he will have corresponding support
after installation and initdb process. But what we have now is the
huge difference between "--with-libxml" and "--with-libxslt": while
the first one adds XML support to the core, the second one doesn't
provide anything automatically, it allows only using contirb/xml2
(what is unclear because the help message is the same as for
--with-libxml -- "build with ... support").

Also, comparing --enable-dtrace and --with-libxml I cannot see any
difference in its semantics: --enable-dtrace also depends on external
library and configure process fails if the system doesn't have it. So
why "--enable-" is used in the first case and "--with-" in the second
one?

--
Best regards,
Nikolay

> The current (CVS version) configure script has the following options
> (among many others):
>
> --enable-dtrace build with DTrace support
> --with-ossp-uuid build with OSSP UUID library for UUID generation
> --with-libxml build with XML support
> --with-libxslt build with XSLT support
>
> One could think that adding any of this option to ./configure before
> building Postgres from sources, he will have corresponding support
> after installation and initdb process. But what we have now is the
> huge difference between "--with-libxml" and "--with-libxslt": while
> the first one adds XML support to the core, the second one doesn't
> provide anything automatically, it allows only using contirb/xml2
> (what is unclear because the help message is the same as for
> --with-libxml -- "build with ... support").

I have modified the configure message to be:

--with-libxslt build /contrib/xml2 with XSLT support

Patch attached.

> Also, comparing --enable-dtrace and --with-libxml I cannot see any
> difference in its semantics: --enable-dtrace also depends on external
> library and configure process fails if the system doesn't have it. So
> why "--enable-" is used in the first case and "--with-" in the second
> one?

I think the reason for this is because XML is seen as something added to
the backend (new capability) while dtrace is embedded in the backend.

/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 3.0 KB