Yum Repository for Postgres 8.2.5

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CentOS 4 RPMs for 8.2.4?
Date: 2007-07-21 22:57:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd like to update from 8.1.9 to 8.2.4 to take advantage of
the multiple value INSERT but don't see at least two of the
RPMs for 8.2.4 that I need.

The installed 8.1.9 RPMs (from the centosplus repository) are:

postgresql-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-contrib-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-devel-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-docs-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-jdbc-8.1.4-1.centos.1
postgresql-libs-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-odbc-08.01.0200-2.el4s1.3
postgresql-pl-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-python-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-server-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-tcl-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
postgresql-test-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1

while the RH4 RPMs at postgresql.org are:

compat-postgresql-libs-4-2PGDG.rhel4.i686.rpm
postgresql-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-contrib-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-devel-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-docs-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-libs-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-plperl-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-plpython-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-pltcl-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-server-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm
postgresql-test-8.2.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

I need the Java and Python interfaces supplied with
(from 8.1.9):

postgresql-jdbc-8.1.4-1.centos.1
postgresql-python-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1

Can I just continue to use those with the above 8.2.4
RPMs? What about the odbc support, which would be useful,
but not as critical?

While I'm at it, I also need libpqxx working for C++. The last
set of RPMs I've found are really for PG7, but they seem
to work alright with PG 8.1.x (after some trickery to get them
to install with and use libpq.so.4 instead of libpq.so.3).

Does anyone know if this version:

libpqxx-devel-2.6.9-1.el4.rf
libpqxx-2.6.9-1.el4.rf

will work with 8.2.4?

Thanks!
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu

> I'd like to update from 8.1.9 to 8.2.4 to take advantage of
> the multiple value INSERT but don't see at least two of the
> RPMs for 8.2.4 that I need.
> I need the Java and Python interfaces supplied with
> (from 8.1.9):
>
> postgresql-jdbc-8.1.4-1.centos.1
> postgresql-python-8.1.9-1.el4s1.1
>
> Can I just continue to use those with the above 8.2.4
> RPMs? What about the odbc support, which would be useful,
> but not as critical?

To answer my own question: both of the above two RPMs work fine
with 8.2.4. Dunno about obdc, but imagine it would also work.

> While I'm at it, I also need libpqxx working for C++. The last
> set of RPMs I've found are really for PG7, but they seem
> to work alright with PG 8.1.x (after some trickery to get them
> to install with and use libpq.so.4 instead of libpq.so.3).
>
> Does anyone know if this version:
>
> libpqxx-devel-2.6.9-1.el4.rf
> libpqxx-2.6.9-1.el4.rf
>
> will work with 8.2.4?

Yes, provided you symlink /usr/lib/libpq.so.4 as /usr/lib/libpq.so.3.
(Might work by symlinking /usr/lib/libpq.so.5 as /usr/lib/libpq.so.3, but
I haven't tried that.)
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu