Re: Features list

Lists: pgsql-www
From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Features list
Date: 2007-08-10 11:22:40
Lists: pgsql-www

I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
postgres these days.

It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
the Advantages page.

In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
(including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.

So, we had a couple of thoughts on how that can be improved to show
people quickly why they should choose our technology over anyone elses:

- Option 1 - Add a new vertical panel (perhaps replacing the Planet
PostgreSQL one) listing 'Feature at a glance'. This would be a bullet
point list, with links to further information where required - for
example, to explain the benefits of MVCC or our Replication-in-core
policy and external solutions.

- Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
technical reasons, including the replication info.

- Option 3 - Add a 'Key Features' menu option to the grey banner,
right-justified so it appears under the tagline in the banner. Link this
to the same page described in option 2.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Regards, Dave

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:22:40PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
> saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
> lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
> postgres these days.
>
> It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
> nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
> most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
> section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
> the Advantages page.
>
> In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
> (including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
> more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
> non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.
>
> So, we had a couple of thoughts on how that can be improved to show
> people quickly why they should choose our technology over anyone elses:
>
> - Option 1 - Add a new vertical panel (perhaps replacing the Planet
> PostgreSQL one) listing 'Feature at a glance'. This would be a bullet
> point list, with links to further information where required - for
> example, to explain the benefits of MVCC or our Replication-in-core
> policy and external solutions.

Don't like this one if you're dropping planetpg ;-) And I don't think we
have room for much more.

> - Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
> and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
> link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
> technical reasons, including the replication info.

This I like more. THe page itself would go under /about, I assume?

> - Option 3 - Add a 'Key Features' menu option to the grey banner,
> right-justified so it appears under the tagline in the banner. Link this
> to the same page described in option 2.

Uh, I'm not sure I get what you mean - you mean to the right of the word
"Support"? If so, then it should be left-justified, not right.

> Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Maybe both 2 and 3? ;-)

What kind of page were you envisioning? One listing pure key features, or
something like Stefans feature-comparison list?
(http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix)

//Magnus

>> - Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
>> and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
>> link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
>> technical reasons, including the replication info.
>
> This I like more. THe page itself would go under /about, I assume?
>

>> - Option 3 - Add a 'Key Features' menu option to the grey banner,
>> right-justified so it appears under the tagline in the banner. Link this
>> to the same page described in option 2.
>
> Uh, I'm not sure I get what you mean - you mean to the right of the word
> "Support"? If so, then it should be left-justified, not right.

The reason for right justifying it was to put it right under the 'The
world's most advanced Open Source Database' text. But I can see that
doesn't fit in with the whole concept of top and sub level menus.

>> Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
>
> Maybe both 2 and 3? ;-)
>
> What kind of page were you envisioning? One listing pure key features, or
> something like Stefans feature-comparison list?
> (http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix)

A list of key features that any new dev can just scan through and tick
off their basic requirements from.

/D

> I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
> saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
> lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
> postgres these days.
>
> It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
> nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
> most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
> section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
> the Advantages page.
>
> In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
> (including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
> more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
> non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.
>
> So, we had a couple of thoughts on how that can be improved to show
> people quickly why they should choose our technology over anyone elses:

May I humbly suggest than instead of the below, we remove the book of
text that is /about with what you suggest? :) We really provide entirely
too much info in about that could be better put in something like
/about/extended or something.

Joshua D. Drake

> - Option 1 - Add a new vertical panel (perhaps replacing the Planet
> PostgreSQL one) listing 'Feature at a glance'. This would be a bullet
> point list, with links to further information where required - for
> example, to explain the benefits of MVCC or our Replication-in-core
> policy and external solutions.
>
> - Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
> and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
> link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
> technical reasons, including the replication info.
>
> - Option 3 - Add a 'Key Features' menu option to the grey banner,
> right-justified so it appears under the tagline in the banner. Link this
> to the same page described in option 2.
>
> Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?
>
> Regards, Dave

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL

>> I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
>> saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
>> lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
>> postgres these days.
>
>> It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
>> nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
>> most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
>> section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
>> the Advantages page.
>
>> In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
>> (including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
>> more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
>> non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.
>
>> So, we had a couple of thoughts on how that can be improved to show
>> people quickly why they should choose our technology over anyone elses:
>
> May I humbly suggest than instead of the below, we remove the book of
> text that is /about with what you suggest? :) We really provide entirely
> too much info in about that could be better put in something like
> /about/extended or something.

Yes, I'd be happy with that, but I still think it should be more
prominently linked form the front page. IF we can get some of the detail
there as well, even better - I'm really sick of hearing that we have no
replication!!!

/D