Re: Problem With gunzip backup

Lists: pgsql-general
From: "Ashish Karalkar" <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem With gunzip backup
Date: 2007-08-01 07:27:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,
I am having following PostgreSQL & Linux version

PostgreSQL 8.2.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.3 20041212 (Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4)

I am trying to create the backupfile using gunzip utility

pg_dump qsweb | gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.gzBut when I run this command i get error stdin: not in gzip formattried with pg_dump qsweb | gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.tar.gzbut same problem againCan any body please suggest what is going wrongThanks In advanceWith RegardsAshish...

> I am trying to create the backupfile using gunzip utility
>
> pg_dump qsweb | gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.gzBut when I run this
> command i get error stdin: not in gzip formattried with pg_dump qsweb
> | gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.tar.gzbut same problem againCan any
> body please suggest what is going wrongThanks In advanceWith

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but there's no need to do this. Use
pg_dump -Fc ...
This format is already compressed.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

Am Mittwoch, 1. August 2007 09:27 schrieb Ashish Karalkar:
> pg_dump qsweb | gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.gzBut when I run this
> command i get error stdin: not in gzip formattried with pg_dump qsweb |
> gzip > /usr/local/backup/backup.tar.gzbut same problem againCan any body
> please suggest what is going wrongThanks In advanceWith RegardsAshish...

Check if you have the GZIP environment variable set.

--
Peter Eisentraut