Re: New idea for patch tracking

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New idea for patch tracking
Date: 2007-05-05 07:35:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I don't recall hearing you ask for people to help with a web page.

> What I think we can do simply is to have our email software automatically
> number emails submitted to the patches list that already don't have a
> number. This way, all followups, even if moved to the hackers list, would
> maintain that patch number, and if an updated version is posted, the user
> would keep the same number in the email subject.

<snip tracker outline>

Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to what I proposed.

Regards, Dave

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2007-05-05 10:06:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I want create and maintain a web page that tracks where we are on each
8.3 patch, but have had not takers.

> > What I think we can do simply is to have our email software automatically
> > number emails submitted to the patches list that already don't have a
> > number. This way, all followups, even if moved to the hackers list, would
> > maintain that patch number, and if an updated version is posted, the user
> > would keep the same number in the email subject.
>
> <snip tracker outline>
>
> Barring a few trivial details, that sounds almost identical to what I
> proposed.

Well, Andrew says everyone he talks to doesn't want it. They want a
more comprehensive solution that goes from bug to patch.