Re: [PERFORM] Postgre 8.0 Installation - Issues

Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-performance
From: "Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai(dot)" <ravindran_g(at)hcl(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Hari Krishna D - TLS , Chennai" <harikrishnad(at)hcl(dot)in>, "Sasikala V - TLS , Chennai" <sasikalav(at)hcl(dot)in>
Subject: Postgre 8.0 Installation - Issues
Date: 2006-10-10 10:47:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

All,

We are facing few issues while we install Postgres 8.0 in Windows 2000
Japanese OS. Installer kit name : postgresql-8.0-ja

Scenario 1: While installing PostGRE 8.0, we got an logon failure at the end
of installing the component telling that it failed to produce the process
for initdb and also that the user name was not able to be recognized or the
password is wrong. After the OK button was clicked the whole process rolled
back automatically and the PostGRE got uninstalled.

Scenario 2: In one of the computers we managed to install the PostGRE 8.0
but the database initialization could not be performed. While creating the
database using the Credb patch we got an error telling that the tables were
missing and the connection with the local host failed.

Scenario 3: For one of the machines the database has also been created but
once the system is restarted the PostGRE does not work and we get the same
error as in the Scenario2.

Please shed some light on this. If this question is not relevant to this
group, please redirect us...

Thanks and regards,
Ravi
DISCLAIMER
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the

named recipient(s) only. It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its

affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and

may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,

dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this

message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender

immediately. Before opening any mail and attachments please check them for viruses and

defect.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 04:17:06PM +0530, Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai. wrote:
> All,
>
> We are facing few issues while we install Postgres 8.0 in Windows 2000
> Japanese OS. Installer kit name : postgresql-8.0-ja

Is there a reason you're not using 8.1.4? 8.0 was the first windows
release, and as such there's a number of issues that were improved in
8.1. You should at least be using the latest 8.0 version (8.0.8).

> Scenario 1: While installing PostGRE 8.0, we got an logon failure at the end

BTW, it's PostgreSQL or Postgres. PostGRE doesn't exist...

> of installing the component telling that it failed to produce the process
> for initdb and also that the user name was not able to be recognized or the
> password is wrong. After the OK button was clicked the whole process rolled
> back automatically and the PostGRE got uninstalled.

Make sure that you have the right password for the account that
PostgreSQL will be running under. I often find it's easiest to just
delete that account and let the installer create it for me.

> Scenario 2: In one of the computers we managed to install the PostGRE 8.0
> but the database initialization could not be performed. While creating the
> database using the Credb patch we got an error telling that the tables were
> missing and the connection with the local host failed.
>
> Scenario 3: For one of the machines the database has also been created but
> once the system is restarted the PostGRE does not work and we get the same
> error as in the Scenario2.

These could be issues surrounding administrator rights. PostgreSQL will
refuse to start if the account it's running under has Administrator
rights.

--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net

>> Scenario 1: While installing PostGRE 8.0, we got an logon failure at the end
>
> BTW, it's PostgreSQL or Postgres. PostGRE doesn't exist...

You know, every time someone brings this up it reminds me of:

Are you Josh or Joshua...

It doesn't matter people.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/