Re: Status of funds.postgresql.org?

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Status of funds.postgresql.org?
Date: 2006-09-13 22:50:38
Lists: pgsql-www

What is the status of funds.postgresql.org?

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL WWW" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Status of funds.postgresql.org?
Date: 2006-09-14 07:13:30
Lists: pgsql-www

I don't recall it ever being asked for. Why would we need another
subsite anyway? What wrong with using <gasp> www.postgresql.org?

/D

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-09-14 20:29:07
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave,

> I don't recall it ever being asked for. Why would we need another
> subsite anyway? What wrong with using <gasp> www.postgresql.org?

'cause the Funds Group needs somewhere to park a CMS.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

There was a foundations.postgresql.org request time ago, confusion perhaps?

g.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

We have had foundation.postgresql.org but since that has changed the
request was put in for funds.postgresql.org to put up a new site that
more clearly represents what the group has transitioned to.

Gavin

On Sep 14, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Guido Barosio wrote:

> There was a foundations.postgresql.org request time ago, confusion
> perhaps?
>
> g.-
>
> On 9/14/06, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> > I don't recall it ever being asked for. Why would we need another
>> > subsite anyway? What wrong with using <gasp> www.postgresql.org?
>>
>> 'cause the Funds Group needs somewhere to park a CMS.
>>
>> --
>> Josh Berkus
>> PostgreSQL @ Sun
>> San Francisco

>> http://archives.postgresql.org
>>

> --
> Guido Barosio
> -----------------------
> http://www.globant.com
> guido(dot)barosio(at)globant(dot)com
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

> 'cause the Funds Group needs somewhere to park a CMS.

Why does the Funds Group need a separate CMS?

--
Peter Eisentraut

>> 'cause the Funds Group needs somewhere to park a CMS.
>
> Why does the Funds Group need a separate CMS?

Several reasons:

1. Storing of private donation records for reference between officer to
officer
2. Storing of publicized project ideas and plans
3. Dealing with web votes

Neither of these are www suitable for.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

>>> 'cause the Funds Group needs somewhere to park a CMS.
>>
>> Why does the Funds Group need a separate CMS?
>>

>Several reasons:
>
>1. Storing of private donation records for reference between
>officer to officer

How is this a feature of a CMS? That sounds more like the feature of a
database.. (hey, we have one of those!)

>2. Storing of publicized project ideas and plans

That's kind of what www does good now, no?

>3. Dealing with web votes

I don't see how that's a specific CMS feature either. BTW, we do have a
working survey system on the website now, which does pretty much that.
It's not really use dbecause nobody posts new surveys, but it works.

//Magnus

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:39:00AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I don't see how that's a specific CMS feature either. BTW, we do have a
> working survey system on the website now, which does pretty much that.
> It's not really use dbecause nobody posts new surveys, but it works.

The voting for the fundraising group needs to be authenticated. Can
the current system do that?

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler

>>> Why does the Funds Group need a separate CMS?
>>>
>> Several reasons:
>>
>> 1. Storing of private donation records for reference between
>> officer to officer
>
> How is this a feature of a CMS? That sounds more like the feature of a
> database.. (hey, we have one of those!)

Going to ignore this.

>> 2. Storing of publicized project ideas and plans
>
> That's kind of what www does good now, no?

No, it doesn't. The funds group CMS is meant to be more of an intranet.

>> 3. Dealing with web votes
>
> I don't see how that's a specific CMS feature either. BTW, we do have a
> working survey system on the website now, which does pretty much that.
> It's not really use dbecause nobody posts new surveys, but it works.

Votes are private and must be authenticated. The funds groups already
has code for this.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/