Re: French PDF manual

Lists: pgsql-docs
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Guillaume LELARGE <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: French PDF manual
Date: 2006-05-09 19:34:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Should we modify the doc build process to generate XML and convert
> that to PDF, or allow it as an option, because PDF generation has
> always been a problem from SGML (very slow)?

If the FOP-based build works better than Jade, by all means let's use
that. Last time I looked at FOP (years ago, admittedly), it broke at
about page 10. Obviously, Guillaume and company are getting better
results now.

What I would like to know, however, is whether FOP runs on a Free(tm)
Java implementation. It seems that you need Sun's JDK to run it and
that will be a problem if it's to become our primary build method.

--
Peter Eisentraut

2006/5/9, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Should we modify the doc build process to generate XML and convert
> > that to PDF, or allow it as an option, because PDF generation has
> > always been a problem from SGML (very slow)?
>
> If the FOP-based build works better than Jade, by all means let's use
> that. Last time I looked at FOP (years ago, admittedly), it broke at
> about page 10. Obviously, Guillaume and company are getting better
> results now.

We are getting better results in quality. Speed is quite different :
really quick to build a PDF, really slow to build HTML files.

> What I would like to know, however, is whether FOP runs on a Free(tm)
> Java implementation. It seems that you need Sun's JDK to run it and
> that will be a problem if it's to become our primary build method.

I use Sun's JDK. I didn't try something else... I'm gonna try.

--
Guillaume.

>> Should we modify the doc build process to generate XML and convert
>> that to PDF, or allow it as an option, because PDF generation has
>> always been a problem from SGML (very slow)?
>
> If the FOP-based build works better than Jade, by all means let's use
> that. Last time I looked at FOP (years ago, admittedly), it broke at
> about page 10. Obviously, Guillaume and company are getting better
> results now.
>
> What I would like to know, however, is whether FOP runs on a Free(tm)
> Java implementation. It seems that you need Sun's JDK to run it and
> that will be a problem if it's to become our primary build method.

I finally had time to work on this matter. It works just great with
libgcj. I just had to export JAVA_HOME with a new location and to
install Jimy (for image rendering). There's only one issue : I found it
quite slow.

> I finally had time to work on this matter. It works just great with
> libgcj. I just had to export JAVA_HOME with a new location and to
> install Jimy (for image rendering). There's only one issue : I found
> it quite slow.

As long as it works, it's OK.

Would you submit the changes that you had to make to the source code to
get useful results?

--
Peter Eisentraut

>> I finally had time to work on this matter. It works just great with
>> libgcj. I just had to export JAVA_HOME with a new location and to
>> install Jimy (for image rendering). There's only one issue : I found
>> it quite slow.
>
> As long as it works, it's OK.
>
> Would you submit the changes that you had to make to the source code to
> get useful results?

Sorry Peter, I don't think I really understood what you meant. Which
changes are you talking about ? which source code ?

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Am Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2006 01:31 schrieb Guillaume LELARGE:
> Sorry Peter, I don't think I really understood what you meant. Which
> changes are you talking about ? which source code ?

I thought that you had to make some changes to the documentation source code
to get it to work with fop.

--
Peter Eisentraut