Re: postmaster startup failure

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postmaster startup failure
Date: 2003-07-16 21:55:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

WHen running PostgreSQL 7.3.3-1 (from rpm's) on Redhat 9.0 I got the
following in logs and the postmaster will not start up.

Any Ideas what I could do to start up ?

This in on a laptop used for development, but I still would like to not
initdb.

postmaster successfully started
LOG: database system shutdown was interrupted at 2003-07-17 00:42:29
EEST
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/304E76A8
LOG: redo record is at 0/304E76A8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
FALSE
LOG: next transaction id: 3981836; next oid: 4003572
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/304E76E8
LOG: ReadRecord: unexpected pageaddr 0/2C504000 in log file 0, segment
48, offset 5259264
LOG: redo done at 0/30503FDC
PANIC: XLogWrite: write request 0/30504000 is past end of log
0/30504000
LOG: startup process (pid 2445) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

Hannu