Re: [SUGGESTION] CVSync

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Joel Miller" <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [SUGGESTION] CVSync
Date: 2006-03-23 21:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I've been trying to get a local mirror of the cvs repository, but my
connection attempts using rsync to cvsup.postgresql.org are always
refused when I try to actually retrieve the pgsql-cvs collection. I tried
to use rsync because cvsup is simply not an option for me.

I'd like to suggest that CVSync (www.cvsync.org) be added as a means for
the public to obtain a local mirror of the cvs repository. It builds on
most every platform (it's written in C, no modula-3 required) and has the
advantage of caching directory scan info to reduce server load -- The
cached scan info is sent to the client, which compares it to its own
cached scan info to decide what to download (You can set up a cron job to
periodically scan the repository directories, or even set up a
sophisticated system that would only scan after commits are made.). It
also sends only the new diffs (optionally compressed) from the ",v" files
that are needed to bring the clients' repository mirror up to date.

Thanks!
Joel

> I've been trying to get a local mirror of the cvs repository, but my
> connection attempts using rsync to cvsup.postgresql.org are always
> refused when I try to actually retrieve the pgsql-cvs collection. I
> tried to use rsync because cvsup is simply not an option for me.
>
> I'd like to suggest that CVSync (www.cvsync.org) be added as a means
> for the public to obtain a local mirror of the cvs repository. It
> builds on most every platform (it's written in C, no modula-3
> required) and has the advantage of caching directory scan info to
> reduce server load -- The cached scan info is sent to the client,
> which compares it to its own cached scan info to decide what to
> download (You can set up a cron job to periodically scan the
> repository directories, or even set up a sophisticated system that
> would only scan after commits are made.). It also sends only the new
> diffs (optionally compressed) from the ",v" files that are needed to
> bring the clients' repository mirror up to date.

As a complete out of nowhere suggestion, you might also look
at csup in FreeBSD's CVS (or the project page), which is a cvsup clone
in C.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-23 22:50:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:32:34PM -0800, Joel Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get a local mirror of the cvs repository, but my
> connection attempts using rsync to cvsup.postgresql.org are always
> refused when I try to actually retrieve the pgsql-cvs collection. I tried
> to use rsync because cvsup is simply not an option for me.

Any particular reason why straight CVS doesn't work for you? Are you
that interested in having the log comment locally?

Have a nice day,

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-23 23:15:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Any particular reason why straight CVS doesn't work for you? Are you
> that interested in having the log comment locally?

Personally, I'd really like to have a local repository copy, because
I spend a *lot* of time with cvsweb etc --- but I'm sure my needs are
several standard deviations away from the mean. So far I've been
discouraged from setting up a repository by the unreasonable
infrastructure needs of cvsup. So these alternatives do sound pretty
interesting.

Is csup protocol-compatible with cvsup? If so people could use it
without Marc having to do anything. Has anyone got experience with
it --- reliability, performance, etc?

regards, tom lane

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-23 23:39:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
>

>>Any particular reason why straight CVS doesn't work for you? Are you
>>that interested in having the log comment locally?
>>

>Personally, I'd really like to have a local repository copy, because
>I spend a *lot* of time with cvsweb etc --- but I'm sure my needs are
>several standard deviations away from the mean. So far I've been
>discouraged from setting up a repository by the unreasonable
>infrastructure needs of cvsup. So these alternatives do sound pretty
>interesting.
>
>Is csup protocol-compatible with cvsup? If so people could use it
>without Marc having to do anything. Has anyone got experience with
>it --- reliability, performance, etc?

Tom,

I don't know what unreasonable infrastructure you are referring to.
Building cvsup is a major pain, but installing and running it isn't, in
my experience. There's a package in Fedora Extras. Setting up cvsweb
against my cvsup repo is a fine idea - I wonder why I didn't think of that.

That's not to say that supporting cvsync isn't a good idea too.
TIMTOWTDI as we perl people like to say.

cheers

andrew

From: "Joel Miller" <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-24 00:30:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Plain old cvs doesn't work for me because I need to get the repository,
not just a checkout of the sources, so I can do diffs, browse old
versions and what-not. I find that it's easier to understand code that's
been around for a while if I can observe how it's changed over time.

Usually, when I have time to these things, it also happens that I am
offline without access to a net connection.

Thanks!
Joel

From: Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be>
To: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-24 00:34:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:32:34PM -0800, Joel Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get a local mirror of the cvs repository, but my
> connection attempts using rsync to cvsup.postgresql.org are always
> refused when I try to actually retrieve the pgsql-cvs collection. I tried
> to use rsync because cvsup is simply not an option for me.

Which seems to be a permission problem to me. Maybe the
permissions should just get changed so that you can use it using
rsync?

I also find it very handy to have a local mirror of the
repository.

Kurt

From: "Joel Miller" <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "Kurt Roeckx" <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-24 00:38:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yes, that's one way to solve the problem. I was just trying to suggest
something that would benefit everyone in general while not opening up a
can of worms with regard to increased server load in the long term.

Joel

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:13:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Personally, I'd really like to have a local repository copy, because
> I spend a *lot* of time with cvsweb etc --- but I'm sure my needs are
> several standard deviations away from the mean.

I'm actually amazed that anyone does any serious amount of work on
Postgres *without* using cvsup :)

I agree that investigating alternatives would be a good idea: AFAIK
there's no easy way to build cvsup on Linux/AMD64 (without patches and
more pain than I'm willing to endure), so I use cvsup on one machine and
then periodically rsync a copy of that to my main (AMD64) machine.

-Neil

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:22:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I agree that investigating alternatives would be a good idea: AFAIK
> there's no easy way to build cvsup on Linux/AMD64 (without patches and
> more pain than I'm willing to endure), so I use cvsup on one machine and
> then periodically rsync a copy of that to my main (AMD64) machine.

Actually, the last time I looked seriously at cvsup, my requirement was
that it build on HPUX, which it did not (well, maybe it would've with
sufficient investment of pain, but that wasn't happening). I was about
to take another look at whether I couldn't just-install-it on FC4, but
my main FC4 machine is now x86_64, so your remarks are discouraging me
again :-(

This whole discussion reminds me why we've stuck so fervently to
bog-standard ANSI C for Postgres. There is a payoff for taking
portability seriously. Too bad the original authors of cvsup were more
interested in using a flavor-of-the-month programming language...

regards, tom lane

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:31:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This whole discussion reminds me why we've stuck so fervently to
> bog-standard ANSI C for Postgres. There is a payoff for taking
> portability seriously. Too bad the original authors of cvsup were more
> interested in using a flavor-of-the-month programming language...

Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:32:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
>
>>I agree that investigating alternatives would be a good idea: AFAIK
>>there's no easy way to build cvsup on Linux/AMD64 (without patches and
>>more pain than I'm willing to endure), so I use cvsup on one machine and
>>then periodically rsync a copy of that to my main (AMD64) machine.
>

> Actually, the last time I looked seriously at cvsup, my requirement was
> that it build on HPUX, which it did not (well, maybe it would've with
> sufficient investment of pain, but that wasn't happening). I was about
> to take another look at whether I couldn't just-install-it on FC4, but
> my main FC4 machine is now x86_64, so your remarks are discouraging me
> again :-(

FWIW I use the i386 FC4 RPMs on my x86_64 FC4 machine -- works fine.

Joe

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?

That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
Marc?

regards, tom lane

From: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:38:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?

The only reason I can possibly think of is server load, comparing the timestamps for every file and directory in a repository for every rsync session could be taxing if everyone under the sun and all their cousins could do it.

CVSync, on the other hand, can cache those timestamps into a file and send it to the client, offloading the comparison workload from the server to the client where it belongs.

Joel

--

// file: mice.h
#include "frickin_lasers.h"

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:40:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?
>
> That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
> mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
> Marc?

Well it would sure seem to eliminate alot of the issues :)

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:45:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?
>
> That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
> mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
> Marc?

I can't think of any reason *not* to .. if someone can, I can easily
disable, but for now ...

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .

----

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 04:46:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Joel Miller wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?
>>
> The only reason I can possibly think of is server load, comparing the
> timestamps for every file and directory in a repository for every rsync
> session could be taxing if everyone under the sun and all their cousins could
> do it.
>
> CVSync, on the other hand, can cache those timestamps into a file and send it
> to the client, offloading the comparison workload from the server to the
> client where it belongs.

I'm going to look at installing this also ... what does the client side
need?

----

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>>> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?
>>
>> That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
>> mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
>> Marc?
>
> I can't think of any reason *not* to .. if someone can, I can easily
> disable, but for now ...
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .

This appears to work :), although everyone please note the
destination... you probably don't want the "," ;)

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
>>> mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
>>> Marc?
>>
>> I can't think of any reason *not* to .. if someone can, I can easily
>> disable, but for now ...
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .
>
> This appears to work :), although everyone please note the destination... you
> probably don't want the "," ;)

its actually a "." ... what would a ',' do? :)

----

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:29:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .

>> its actually a "." ... what would a ',' do? :)

> egad... heh... it would create a directory called "," ;) So you probably
> don't want either.

Um, I'm with Marc: where's the "," exactly? Not that I'm an rsync guru,
but if there's a mistake here I do want to learn from it.

regards, tom lane

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:32:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:40:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .
>
>>> its actually a "." ... what would a ',' do? :)
>
>> egad... heh... it would create a directory called "," ;) So you probably
>> don't want either.
>
> Um, I'm with Marc: where's the "," exactly? Not that I'm an rsync guru,
> but if there's a mistake here I do want to learn from it.

I figure that Joshua just hit the wrong key ... or, at least, I hope that
is what he did, vs just going blind at a young age ;(

----

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just to be clear. The comma was a mistype. I was stating that you do not
> want to use a period. If you use a period and you are not in the correct
> directory, rsync will remove everything within your working directory.

Oh, so you're saying the second argument should be an absolute path?
OK, that's a great clue -- right on par with "don't rm -rf ." ...

regards, tom lane

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:44:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .
>
>>> its actually a "." ... what would a ',' do? :)
>
>> egad... heh... it would create a directory called "," ;) So you probably
>> don't want either.
>
> Um, I'm with Marc: where's the "," exactly? Not that I'm an rsync guru,
> but if there's a mistake here I do want to learn from it.

Just to be clear. The comma was a mistype. I was stating that you do not
want to use a period. If you use a period and you are not in the correct
directory, rsync will remove everything within your working directory.
It is always better to be explicit with an application that will
willingly remove your entire directory structure.

I know this, because I accidently did it once when manually pulling the
archives. I had to restore www.commandprompt.com from backup ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:46:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Joel Miller wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the cvs repo?
>>>
>> The only reason I can possibly think of is server load, comparing the
>> timestamps for every file and directory in a repository for every
>> rsync session could be taxing if everyone under the sun and all their
>> cousins could do it.
>>
>> CVSync, on the other hand, can cache those timestamps into a file and
>> send it to the client, offloading the comparison workload from the
>> server to the client where it belongs.
>

> I'm going to look at installing this also ... what does the client
> side need?
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
> 7615664

To build and install? Just the sources from www.cvsync.org and gcc. I'm
running OS X, and I needed to specify a useful value for HASH_TYPE in
mk/defaults.mk (doing 'make configure' creates that file).

Basically here's all you need to do:
download sources, expand and cd into the folder
make configure
(tweak HASH_TYPE in ./mk/defaults.mk if needed)
make
make install

I created an empty config file in /usr/local/etc/cvsync.conf to keep the
client app from complaining. You can create individual config files for
each collection if you want and store them wherever it makes sense for
you (I keep mine one folder up from the destination). The file format is
documented in the man pages for cvsync and cvsyncd. I have a commented
example config file for defining collections on the server side that I
can send if you want it. You can also specify most parameters on the
command line as well, both for the client and server.

If you want to take a look at a live deployment of cvsync, check out
http://openbsd.org/cvsync.html

Hope this helps!
Joel

--

// file: mice.h
#include "frickin_lasers.h"

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:50:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>> Just to be clear. The comma was a mistype. I was stating that you do not
>> want to use a period. If you use a period and you are not in the correct
>> directory, rsync will remove everything within your working directory.
>
> Oh, so you're saying the second argument should be an absolute path?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Although I typically will use a
relative path, I always specify a directory name.

> OK, that's a great clue -- right on par with "don't rm -rf ." ...

Yep, just one of those foot guns I prefer not to use ;)

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 05:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I figure that Joshua just hit the wrong key ... or, at least, I hope
> that is what he did, vs just going blind at a young age ;(

No, not that blind yet :)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 14:49:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
> > I agree that investigating alternatives would be a good idea: AFAIK
> > there's no easy way to build cvsup on Linux/AMD64 (without patches and
> > more pain than I'm willing to endure), so I use cvsup on one machine and
> > then periodically rsync a copy of that to my main (AMD64) machine.
>
> Actually, the last time I looked seriously at cvsup, my requirement was
> that it build on HPUX, which it did not (well, maybe it would've with
> sufficient investment of pain, but that wasn't happening). I was about
> to take another look at whether I couldn't just-install-it on FC4, but
> my main FC4 machine is now x86_64, so your remarks are discouraging me
> again :-(

Don't let'em. I use CVSup on both my ix86 and amd64 machine. (IIRC the latter
uses a 32bit binary, but it surely works anyway.)

I think these are static binaries, so they would probably work on your
machines unchanged.

Hmm, well, not quite:

$ ldd bin/cvsup
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f5b000)
libXaw.so.7 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.7 (0xb7eff000)
libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0xb7ee9000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7edb000)
libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb7e8b000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb7e82000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7e6a000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7d9e000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7d64000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7c2c000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7c16000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c12000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f71000)

(this is the ix86 machine, I don't have the other one handy)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 15:04:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> $ ldd bin/cvsup
> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
> libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f5b000)
> libXaw.so.7 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.7 (0xb7eff000)
> libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0xb7ee9000)
> libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7edb000)
> libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb7e8b000)
> libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb7e82000)
> libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7e6a000)
> libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7d9e000)
> libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7d64000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7c2c000)
> libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7c16000)
> libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c12000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f71000)

Why in the world is cvsup linked to X libraries? Surely it does not
need a GUI.

regards, tom lane

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 15:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane said:

> Why in the world is cvsup linked to X libraries? Surely it does not
> need a GUI.

The client has GUI and non-GUI modes. For command-line ops use the -g flag
or unset DISPLAY.

My crontab entry looks like this:

3 * * * * /usr/bin/cvsup -g -r 25 /home/cvsmirror/postgres.cvsup

cheers

andrew

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-03-25 16:25:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane said:
>
> > Why in the world is cvsup linked to X libraries? Surely it does not
> > need a GUI.
>
> The client has GUI and non-GUI modes. For command-line ops use the -g flag
> or unset DISPLAY.

Apparently not only the CVSup authors chose a weird language, they also
wanted to get fancy and wrote a GUI. It's pretty useless if you ask me.
I always use the -g switch as well, even when using it interactively.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-03-25 16:54:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Tom Lane said:
>>
>>> Why in the world is cvsup linked to X libraries? Surely it does not
>>> need a GUI.
>> The client has GUI and non-GUI modes. For command-line ops use the -g flag
>> or unset DISPLAY.
>
> Apparently not only the CVSup authors chose a weird language, they also
> wanted to get fancy and wrote a GUI. It's pretty useless if you ask me.
> I always use the -g switch as well, even when using it interactively.

With rsync capability now.... is CVSup even needed?

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-03-25 17:02:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

>> $ ldd bin/cvsup
>> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
>> libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7f5b000)
>> libXaw.so.7 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.7 (0xb7eff000)
>> libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0xb7ee9000)
>> libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7edb000)
>> libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb7e8b000)
>> libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb7e82000)
>> libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb7e6a000)
>> libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7d9e000)
>> libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7d64000)
>> libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7c2c000)
>> libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0xb7c16000)
>> libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c12000)
>> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f71000)
>
> Why in the world is cvsup linked to X libraries? Surely it does not
> need a GUI.

it is possible to build a non-gui version as well, that doesn't require X
... that's all I ever buld, but, for me, its simple ... cd
/usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui; make install :)

mercury# ldd /usr/local/bin/cvsup
/usr/local/bin/cvsup:
libz.so.2 => /usr/lib/libz.so.2 (0x280fa000)
libutil.so.3 => /usr/lib/libutil.so.3 (0x28107000)
libmd.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmd.so.2 (0x28110000)
libm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libm.so.2 (0x28119000)
libc.so.4 => /usr/lib/libc.so.4 (0x28134000)

----

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-03-25 17:02:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> The client has GUI and non-GUI modes. For command-line ops use the -g flag
>>> or unset DISPLAY.
>>
>> Apparently not only the CVSup authors chose a weird language, they also
>> wanted to get fancy and wrote a GUI. It's pretty useless if you ask me.
>> I always use the -g switch as well, even when using it interactively.
>>

> With rsync capability now.... is CVSup even needed?

CVSup is on the main repository, rsync is on the anoncvs repository ...
depends on how fast you want your changes :)

----

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-04-09 20:46:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I don't know what unreasonable infrastructure you are referring to.
> Building cvsup is a major pain, but installing and running it isn't, in
> my experience. There's a package in Fedora Extras. Setting up cvsweb
> against my cvsup repo is a fine idea - I wonder why I didn't think of that.

Using someone else's binary isn't an attractive alternative for open
source users.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Joel Miller <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-04-10 00:28:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>I don't know what unreasonable infrastructure you are referring to.
>>Building cvsup is a major pain, but installing and running it isn't, in
>>my experience. There's a package in Fedora Extras. Setting up cvsweb
>>against my cvsup repo is a fine idea - I wonder why I didn't think of that.
>>

>Using someone else's binary isn't an attractive alternative for open
>source users.

Really? I haven't built the compiler, or make, or almost anything else
in the toolset we use on any of the platforms I build on (FC*, Windows,
Cygwin). So I use binaries built by other peoiple all the time. I bet
you do too. In any case, cvsup would only be a supplement to cvs, not a
replacement, and probably only of interest to developers, not users.
It's not like cvsup is proprietary.

And we support cvsup right now - it's particularly nice with buildfarm.

cheers

andrew