CREATE SYNONYM ...

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-07 08:29:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

this patch implements CREATE SYNONYM

syntax:

CREATE SYNONYM [TABLE | INDEX | SEQUENCE | VIEW] synname ON orgname;

CREATE SYNONYM FUNCTION synname ON funcname(arg, arg, ...);

DROP SYNONYM [TABLE | INDEX | SEQUENCE | VIEW] synname;

DROP SYNONYM FUNCTION synname(arg, arg, ...);

for details about synonyms see pg_synonym table.
The synonym is just like a unix hardlink.
Every user who has CREATE rights can create a synonym.

This feature is especially important to people who want to port from
Oracle to PostgreSQL (almost every customer who ports larger Oracle
applications will asked for it).

Documentation will be submitted this week.
The patch applies without error against 8.1.3.

Many thanks and best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH
Schöngrabern 134; A-2020 Hollabrunn

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql-8.1.3-synonym-03032006.patch.gz application/x-gzip 10.5 KB

On Mar 7, 2006, at 17:29 , Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

> this patch implements CREATE SYNONYM

<snip />

> This feature is especially important to people who want to port
> from Oracle to PostgreSQL (almost every customer who ports larger
> Oracle applications will asked for it).

Is this SQL spec or Oracle-specific?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com