Slow query over ADSL Line

Lists: pgsql-odbc
From: Thomas Chabaud <tc(at)geosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slow query over ADSL Line
Date: 2006-03-06 10:20:10
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I'm using psql ODBC driver with ADO in a visual basic 6 application, and I
have some speed issues when I connect using an adsl line (8M down/1M up) (it
works perfectly well using an ethernet 100Mbps LAN).

The application sends about 300 queries to server, and it takes 150 seconds
to fetch the results of all queries. I have also tested some of the queries
with pgAdmin, and it takes about 1.5s/2s for each query.

The queries are all in the same simple form : "select
myfield1,myfield2,myfield3[...] from table where id=myid",
and they send back only 40/50 rows max.

I have no debug option enabled, and there is no "blob" object in my database.

I use the following options with ADO recordset :

Dim rec as ADODB.Recordset
set rec=New ADODB.Recordset

rec.open myquery, myDbConn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

Does the slowness is due to ADO or ODBC ?
Is there a simple way to speed up the result fetch ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Thomas Chabaud

>> I'm using psql ODBC driver with ADO in a visual basic 6 application, and
>> I have some speed issues when I connect using an adsl line (8M down/1M
>> up) (it works perfectly well using an ethernet 100Mbps LAN).
>>
>> The application sends about 300 queries to server, and it takes 150
>> seconds to fetch the results of all queries. I have also tested some of
>> the queries with pgAdmin, and it takes about 1.5s/2s for each query.
>>
>> The queries are all in the same simple form : "select
>> myfield1,myfield2,myfield3[...] from table where id=myid",
>> and they send back only 40/50 rows max.

You must consider how amount of data your application gets from server !

Adnan DURSUN
ASRIN Bilisim Ltd.

>>> I'm using psql ODBC driver with ADO in a visual basic 6 application,
>>> and I have some speed issues when I connect using an adsl line (8M
>>> down/1M up) (it works perfectly well using an ethernet 100Mbps LAN).
>>>
>>> The application sends about 300 queries to server, and it takes 150
>>> seconds to fetch the results of all queries. I have also tested some
>>> of the queries with pgAdmin, and it takes about 1.5s/2s for each query.
>>>
>>> The queries are all in the same simple form : "select
>>> myfield1,myfield2,myfield3[...] from table where id=myid",
>>> and they send back only 40/50 rows max.
>
> You must consider how amount of data your application gets from server !
>
> Adnan DURSUN
> ASRIN Bilisim Ltd.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org

The total amount of data fetched from the server is approximately 500 ko.

> The total amount of data fetched from the server is approximately 500 ko.

Turn off the ODBC trace option from ODBC control panel, if it is on...