Re: drop if exists remainder

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: drop if exists remainder
Date: 2006-02-05 14:44:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS, FUNCTION,
AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.

comments welcome - working on tests/docs now.

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size
die.patch text/x-patch 26.7 KB

> Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
> cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS, FUNCTION,
> AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.

At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
TABLE case ...

regards, tom lane

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
>>cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS, FUNCTION,
>>AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.
>>

>At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
>The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
>TABLE case ...

Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
only doing this to complete something I started.

cheers

andrew

> >Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> >

> >>Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
> >>cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS, FUNCTION,
> >>AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.
> >>

> >At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
> >The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
> >TABLE case ...
> >

> Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
> But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
> only doing this to complete something I started.

I am thinking we should have IF EXISTS support for every object that has
CREATE OR REPLACE functionality, plus objects that have storage like
table and perhaps index.

However, I see CREATE ROLE doesn't have REPLACE functionality, so what
is the logic of when we need IF EXISTS and when we don't? Perhaps they
all should have it, and the REPLACE is just for objects you want to
replace but keep existing linkage in place.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>However, I see CREATE ROLE doesn't have REPLACE functionality, so what
>is the logic of when we need IF EXISTS and when we don't? Perhaps they
>all should have it, and the REPLACE is just for objects you want to
>replace but keep existing linkage in place.

That was my understanding. I think these are orthogonal issues.

Another issue was MySQL compatibility. AFAIK we achieved that when we
did database, following
{ table view index sequence schema type domain conversion}, which pretty
much all had to be done together, as they share the same statement node
type.

cheers

andrew

>>> Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
>>> cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS,
>>> FUNCTION, AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.
>>>

>> At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
>> The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
>> TABLE case ...
>
> Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
> But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
> only doing this to complete something I started.

Well, my use-case was to be able to wrap "pg_dump -c" output in
begin/commit tags and being able to run and re-run such dumps without
errors. Basically I don't like 'acceptable errors' when restoring dumps
:) They just confuse newer users especially.

I also just like consistency :)

Chris

> >> At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
> >> The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
> >> TABLE case ...
> >
> > Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
> > But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
> > only doing this to complete something I started.
>
> Well, my use-case was to be able to wrap "pg_dump -c" output in
> begin/commit tags and being able to run and re-run such dumps without
> errors. Basically I don't like 'acceptable errors' when restoring dumps
> :) They just confuse newer users especially.
>
> I also just like consistency :)

Makes sense.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>>>Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
>>>But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
>>>only doing this to complete something I started.
>>>

>>Well, my use-case was to be able to wrap "pg_dump -c" output in
>>begin/commit tags and being able to run and re-run such dumps without
>>errors. Basically I don't like 'acceptable errors' when restoring dumps
>>:) They just confuse newer users especially.
>>
>>I also just like consistency :)
>>

>Makes sense.

What's the consensus on this? Nobody else has chimed in, so I'm inclined
to do no more on the gounds of insufficient demand. Let's decide before
too much bitrot occurs, though.

cheers

andrew

> >>Well, my use-case was to be able to wrap "pg_dump -c" output in
> >>begin/commit tags and being able to run and re-run such dumps without
> >>errors. Basically I don't like 'acceptable errors' when restoring dumps
> >>:) They just confuse newer users especially.
> >>
> >>I also just like consistency :)
> >>

> >Makes sense.
> >

> What's the consensus on this? Nobody else has chimed in, so I'm inclined
> to do no more on the gounds of insufficient demand. Let's decide before
> too much bitrot occurs, though.

I kind of liked it, but I think I was the only one.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:35:24PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >

> What's the consensus on this? Nobody else has chimed in, so I'm inclined
> to do no more on the gounds of insufficient demand. Let's decide before
> too much bitrot occurs, though.

+1 :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

On Saturday 04 March 2006 22:24, David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:35:24PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >
> > What's the consensus on this? Nobody else has chimed in, so I'm inclined
> > to do no more on the gounds of insufficient demand. Let's decide before
> > too much bitrot occurs, though.
>
> +1 :)

+1

--
Robert Treat

> > > What's the consensus on this? Nobody else has chimed in, so I'm
> > > inclined to do no more on the gounds of insufficient demand. Let's
> > > decide before too much bitrot occurs, though.
> >
> > +1 :)
>
> +1

We were talking about this on IRC, and I feel that if we're going to do "IF
EXISTS" for any objects, we should do it for all objects. Otherwise we
risk a considerable amount of user confusion.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

>>> +1 :)
>>>
>> +1
>>

> We were talking about this on IRC, and I feel that if we're going to do "IF
> EXISTS" for any objects, we should do it for all objects. Otherwise we
> risk a considerable amount of user confusion.

OK there does seem to be some demand for this, so I will rework the
patch, and hope to get it done by feature freeze - it has bitrotted with
7 merge conflicts, including the grammar file, so I need to look
carefully at that. Pity people didn't speak up when this was first
raised. :-)

cheers

andrew

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:43:19AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> OK there does seem to be some demand for this, so I will rework the
> patch, and hope to get it done by feature freeze - it has bitrotted
> with 7 merge conflicts, including the grammar file, so I need to
> look carefully at that. Pity people didn't speak up when this was
> first raised. :-)

I did :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:43:19AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> OK there does seem to be some demand for this, so I will rework the
>> patch, and hope to get it done by feature freeze - it has bitrotted
>> with 7 merge conflicts, including the grammar file, so I need to
>> look carefully at that. Pity people didn't speak up when this was
>> first raised. :-)
>>

> I did :)

Important as you are, "one swallow does not make a summer".

cheers

andrew

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:34:54PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 09:43:19AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> >>OK there does seem to be some demand for this, so I will rework the
> >>patch, and hope to get it done by feature freeze - it has bitrotted
> >>with 7 merge conflicts, including the grammar file, so I need to
> >>look carefully at that. Pity people didn't speak up when this was
> >>first raised. :-)
> >>

> >I did :)
> >

> Important as you are, "one swallow does not make a summer".

On the other hand, unless we want the lists filling up with a bunch of
+1 posts, it's probably better to assume that unless someone objects a
patch would be accepted.