Re: Updated email signature

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Updated email signature
Date: 2006-02-17 15:40:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have updated my email signature because I think it is no longer
necessary to list contact information now that my home page has all that
information. (At the time I created it, email was becoming popular but
personal web sites were rare.)

Also, I wanted to mention that I work for SRA OSS more prominently. I
hope that is OK with everyone.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com

> I have updated my email signature because I think it is no longer
> necessary to list contact information now that my home page has all that
> information. (At the time I created it, email was becoming popular but
> personal web sites were rare.)
>
> Also, I wanted to mention that I work for SRA OSS more prominently. I
> hope that is OK with everyone.

I can see why anyone would have a problem with this. Have you
see my signature ;)

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:18:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have updated my email signature because I think it is no longer
> > necessary to list contact information now that my home page has all that
> > information. (At the time I created it, email was becoming popular but
> > personal web sites were rare.)
> >
> > Also, I wanted to mention that I work for SRA OSS more prominently. I
> > hope that is OK with everyone.

> I can see why anyone would have a problem with this. Have you
> see my signature ;)
>
> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

What! Can't you embed an image in there too! :-)

Anyway, thinking about it, it isn't that personal web pages weren't
popular when I created the original signature, but that the web itself
didn't exist yet, at least beyond research sites.

My first post to Usenet was May 1991:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.admin/browse_frm/thread/e14966d30496969c/e28f1e5bf544f540?lnk=st&q=momjian&rnum=5&hl=en#e28f1e5bf544f540

And the world wide web came later:

http://www.kevcom.com/words/guide/guide.04.html

How off topic can I get? :-)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:35:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> --
>> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
>> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
>> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
>> Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> What! Can't you embed an image in there too! :-)

You know... I can which is scary... and every single Thunderbird
and Outlook user would see it unless they turned it off ;)

Joshua D. Drake

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:39:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My first post to Usenet was May 1991:

Newbie ;-)

regards, tom lane

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:44:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > My first post to Usenet was May 1991:
>
> Newbie ;-)

OK, don't taunt us. What date do you have? :-)

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I have updated my email signature because I think it is no longer
>>> necessary to list contact information now that my home page has all that
>>> information. (At the time I created it, email was becoming popular but
>>> personal web sites were rare.)
>>>
>>> Also, I wanted to mention that I work for SRA OSS more prominently. I
>>> hope that is OK with everyone.
>
>> I can see why anyone would have a problem with this. Have you
>> see my signature ;)
>>
>> --
>> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
>> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
>> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
>> Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> What! Can't you embed an image in there too! :-)
>
> Anyway, thinking about it, it isn't that personal web pages weren't
> popular when I created the original signature, but that the web itself
> didn't exist yet, at least beyond research sites.
>
> My first post to Usenet was May 1991:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.admin/browse_frm/thread/e14966d30496969c/e28f1e5bf544f540?lnk=st&q=momjian&rnum=5&hl=en#e28f1e5bf544f540

I can go back to April 1991 :)

http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9104d&L=minix-l&F=&S=&P=5347

But that was back in the UUCP days ...

----

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 00:55:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>>> My first post to Usenet was May 1991:
>>
>> Newbie ;-)

> OK, don't taunt us. What date do you have? :-)

Not sure, but I remember being netnews admin for CMU in '87.
(Grad student slave labor position, mind you, not prestigious.
That was before anyone cared enough about netnews to have a real
staff person take care of it...) I'd guess I first got involved
in Usenet a year or two before that. The oldest thing I can
actually document at the moment is the CMU coke-machine info I posted
in 1989, eg http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jhb/silly/cokemachine.htm
(another slave-labor position, but at least the loaders got free
coke out of it)

regards, tom lane

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 01:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I said:
> The oldest thing I can actually document at the moment

After further digging, I found something older: conclusive proof that
I was present at the invention of the smiley. I've been heard to assert
that before, but apparently someone has actually managed to unearth
archives that had been thought long gone:

http://www.authentichistory.com/documents/1980s/smiley/complete_smiley_thread.html

See Scott Fahlman's post on 19-Sep-82 11:44, and note the rapidity with
which the idea spread below. I can be seen answering some unrelated
question about halfway down the page.

The CMU bboard system could legitimately be called a forerunner of
usenet, though since it didn't travel further than the CS department's
local net, it certainly wasn't the sort of community we now associate
with netnews. Or then again maybe it was --- the fact that the
department members had a need to invent such a symbol should give you
some flavor of the place.

Anyone able to beat that?

regards, tom lane

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 01:35:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> I said:
>> The oldest thing I can actually document at the moment
>
> After further digging, I found something older: conclusive proof that
> I was present at the invention of the smiley. I've been heard to assert
> that before, but apparently someone has actually managed to unearth
> archives that had been thought long gone:
>
> http://www.authentichistory.com/documents/1980s/smiley/complete_smiley_thread.html
>
> See Scott Fahlman's post on 19-Sep-82 11:44, and note the rapidity with
> which the idea spread below. I can be seen answering some unrelated
> question about halfway down the page.
>
> The CMU bboard system could legitimately be called a forerunner of
> usenet, though since it didn't travel further than the CS department's
> local net, it certainly wasn't the sort of community we now associate
> with netnews. Or then again maybe it was --- the fact that the
> department members had a need to invent such a symbol should give you
> some flavor of the place.
>
> Anyone able to beat that?

Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)

----

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 01:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:35:32PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)

Anybody know some reasonable postgresql.conf settings for a system
that starts up with

Cass?
Memory Size?

'cuz I still have one :-)

--
Michael Fuhr

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-18 03:07:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) would write:
> I said:
>> The oldest thing I can actually document at the moment
>
> After further digging, I found something older: conclusive proof that
> I was present at the invention of the smiley. I've been heard to assert
> that before, but apparently someone has actually managed to unearth
> archives that had been thought long gone:
>
> http://www.authentichistory.com/documents/1980s/smiley/complete_smiley_thread.html
>
> See Scott Fahlman's post on 19-Sep-82 11:44, and note the rapidity with
> which the idea spread below. I can be seen answering some unrelated
> question about halfway down the page.
>
> The CMU bboard system could legitimately be called a forerunner of
> usenet, though since it didn't travel further than the CS department's
> local net, it certainly wasn't the sort of community we now associate
> with netnews. Or then again maybe it was --- the fact that the
> department members had a need to invent such a symbol should give you
> some flavor of the place.
>
> Anyone able to beat that?

Crud, I was hoping that my posts listed on Google from July 1986 would
beat the 1987 dates you mentioned, but evidently not :-(.
--
output = reverse("gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 03:45:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:35:32PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>
> Anybody know some reasonable postgresql.conf settings for a system
> that starts up with
>
> Cass?
> Memory Size?
>
> 'cuz I still have one :-)

I have a PDP-II/360 sitting in a storage locker right now that one of
these days I'm going to re-wire and find platters for :) rats got at the
wires *sigh*

----

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 04:09:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Anyone able to beat that?
>
> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)

At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.

Joshua D. Drake

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 04:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Anyone able to beat that?
>
> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)

And Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.

Joshua D. Drake

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 04:43:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

/me was 1 year old in 1982

On 2/17/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> >> Anyone able to beat that?
> >
> > Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
> >

> And Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > ----
> > Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
> > (http://www.hub.org)
> > Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
> > 7615664
>

> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
732.331.1324

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 05:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Anyone able to beat that?
>>
>> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>>

> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.

damn, now *I* feel old :)

----

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 06:09:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>>>

>> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.
>
> damn, now *I* feel old :)

don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

From: "Andrej Ricnik-Bay" <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 07:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)
Just curious ... how old does one need to be to be allowed
that? :) I was of "legal drinking age" then, btw ..

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 08:50:46
> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>

> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.

So was I. Back on the point though, despite previous denials I'm starting to get my suspicions about Tom being part of the legendary Usenet Cabal again - especially with this new admission of being the news admin at CMU in the mid 80's...

Ooh, is that a black helicop...

/D

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 09:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake schrieb:

>>> Anyone able to beat that?
>>

>> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>>

> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.

cool. You too? :-) 1973 must have been a great year .-)

Tino

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-18 11:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jonah H. Harris said:
> /me was 1 year old in 1982

my *son* (whose name is Tom btw ;-) ) was 3 yrs old in '82 ...

:-)

As for the "first used Usenet" thing, I am fairly sure I used it or
something very like it during "The VAX years", probably around '87. The
earliest record I can find is '91 though. Tom sure beats me - in '82 I had
not the slightest clue about computing other than using a mainframe app.

cheers

andrew

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-02-18 14:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 17 February 2006 20:44, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:35:32PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>
> Anybody know some reasonable postgresql.conf settings for a system
> that starts up with
>
> Cass?
> Memory Size?
>
> 'cuz I still have one :-)

And running xtrs, anyone can have one.

I go (TRS-80-wise) a little earlier than that, as my first documented Usenet
post asserts:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.folklore.computers/browse_thread/thread/aedd5baeb2e4e6ba/af8a503f1a33a192?lnk=st&q=%22lamar+owen%22&rnum=16&hl=en#af8a503f1a33a192

Prior to that I did some FIDO with a TRS-80 odel 16B under Xenix System III.

In 1982 I was doing hexadecimal machine code on that TRS-80 Model III, whose
non-disk boot lines you quote. My favorite Z80 joke:
01FFFF
110100
210000
EDB0
(Punchline: one-track mind.)

PostgreSQL in 48K? Ouch. What's wild is that the level-1 cache on my current
processor is larger than that...

So, as to Usenet, earliest documented date is May 1992. Ran a leaf node with
Waffle for a while, then an AT&T 3B1 later, running C News and SMail.

So, Tom, did you enjoy being linked with the Backbone Cabal? What part did
you play in the Great Renaming?

Man, this is totally off-topic, but a fun distraction...
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-02-18 17:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:28:58AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> In 1982 I was doing hexadecimal machine code on that TRS-80 Model III, whose
> non-disk boot lines you quote. My favorite Z80 joke:
> 01FFFF
> 110100
> 210000
> EDB0
> (Punchline: one-track mind.)

Heh heh :-) Did plenty of that, though usually on 3C00-3FFF.

--
Michael Fuhr

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-02-18 18:02:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 18 February 2006 12:16, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 09:28:58AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > In 1982 I was doing hexadecimal machine code on that TRS-80 Model III,
> > whose non-disk boot lines you quote. My favorite Z80 joke:
> > 01FFFF
> > 110100
> > 210000
> > EDB0
> > (Punchline: one-track mind.)
>
> Heh heh :-) Did plenty of that, though usually on 3C00-3FFF.

Most efficient way to bitblit on the TRS-80....although using the six pixel
character cell graphics was, to say the least, _interesting_.

I did a LIFE on the TRS-80 complete with a full screen graphical editor in 512
bytes. No assembly required; I may have the DEBUG listing around
somewhere...time to pull out the catweasel.

Ok, too off-topic. Sorry....last on-list post from me on that branch of the
thread...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-02-18 18:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu> writes:
> So, Tom, did you enjoy being linked with the Backbone Cabal? What part did
> you play in the Great Renaming?

CMU was never part of the Usenet backbone, really. The backbone was the
sites that did the bulk of the work in passing news to places that had
to get it via dialup --- we're talking modems and long-distance calls
here. (A lot of the backbone sites actually belonged to Bell Labs and
similar institutions that got their phone service for free ;-)) AFAIR
CMU did all its news-passing across the internet and predecessors
thereof, which meant that we only exchanged news directly with a few
other places similarly fortunate to be on the net. The current
environment where everybody and his dog has an IP address didn't start
to happen till years later, as I'm sure you recall. So I was never in
a position of being able to determine what news other sites could or
couldn't get, which was pretty much the defining property of the Cabal.

As for the Great Renaming, yup, I remember that --- I think the fallout
was still falling at the time I took over the newsadmin chores. (It
might be that the previous holder of the post resigned because he was
burned out due to that mess, but this is speculation not memory.)

regards, tom lane

From: "Larry Rosenman" <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: "'Marc G(dot) Fournier'" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Sorry, I was still in Junior High in '82 :( Man, you are *old* :)
>>>

>> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.
>
> damn, now *I* feel old :)

I *GRADUATED* High School in 1975.

Started posting on UseNet in 1988.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org

From: "Larry Rosenman" <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "'Marc G(dot) Fournier'" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> damn, now *I* feel old :)
>>>

>> I *GRADUATED* High School in 1975.
>>
> Can you still walk without a cane?
>
> /me laughs as Larry chases after him with his cane, swearing about
> whipper snappers.
>
>> Started posting on UseNet in 1988.
>>
>> LER

Quite well, thank you.

LER

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: "'Marc G(dot) Fournier'" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:15:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Lamar Owen wrote:

> So, as to Usenet, earliest documented date is May 1992. Ran a leaf node
> with Waffle for a while, then an AT&T 3B1 later, running C News and
> SMail.

The skypod.UUCP email that I posted earlier was on a friends 3B2 machine
... my first Unix account :)

----

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> At Marc hands himself a foot gun... I was 9 years old in 82.
>>
>> damn, now *I* feel old :)
>
> don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)

Ack, you were one of those in the missile silo's?? Definitely not a job
I'd envy anyone :(

----

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 02:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)
>
> Ack, you were one of those in the missile silo's?? Definitely not a
> job I'd envy anyone :(
I doubt that if her were still doing it, that he would be allowed to
tell us ;)

Joshua D. Drake

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 06:25:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> damn, now *I* feel old :)
>>
>> don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)
>
> Ack, you were one of those in the missile silo's?? Definitely not a job I'd
> envy anyone :(

that time it was obligatory for students of our depratment (of physics).
Actually, I took part in war games during Moscow Olympiad.

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Regards,

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-02-19 06:30:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> don't feel upset, that time I already learned how to control missile :)
>>
>> Ack, you were one of those in the missile silo's?? Definitely not a job
>> I'd envy anyone :(
> I doubt that if her were still doing it, that he would be allowed to tell us
> ;)

Studiying was obligatory, but that helps people to avoid an army. I luckily
missed Afghanistan :) I'm absolutely civilian astronomer.

From: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-19 15:41:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> my *son* (whose name is Tom btw ;-) ) was 3 yrs old in '82 ...

So, as you were responsible for me at the time, the fact that *I* don't
have any usenet posts back that far is clearly your fault.

:)

Tom

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-21 02:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 20, 2006, at 0:41 , Tom Dunstan wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> my *son* (whose name is Tom btw ;-) ) was 3 yrs old in '82 ...
>
> So, as you were responsible for me at the time, the fact that *I*
> don't have any usenet posts back that far is clearly your fault.

My goodness. When I first saw the poster of this message, I thought
someone had created some kind of unholy Frankensteinian chimera of
Tom Lane and Andrew Dunstan...

Would be a great asset to PostgreSQL though. :P

Nice to make your acquaintance, Tom!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-21 03:26:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 0:41 , Tom Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> my *son* (whose name is Tom btw ;-) ) was 3 yrs old in '82 ...
>>
>> So, as you were responsible for me at the time, the fact that *I* don't
>> have any usenet posts back that far is clearly your fault.
>
> My goodness. When I first saw the poster of this message, I thought someone
> had created some kind of unholy Frankensteinian chimera of Tom Lane and
> Andrew Dunstan...

Ack, I did too ... sorry TomD, and welcome :)

----

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-02-22 16:49:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:26:47PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> >>So, as you were responsible for me at the time, the fact that *I* don't
> >>have any usenet posts back that far is clearly your fault.
> >
> >My goodness. When I first saw the poster of this message, I thought
> >someone had created some kind of unholy Frankensteinian chimera of Tom
> >Lane and Andrew Dunstan...
>
> Ack, I did too ... sorry TomD, and welcome :)

Hmm... so would Tom D be the first 'legacy' in the community? :)

"No sweat. My brother Fred was a Delta. That makes me a legacy. They
have to take me. It's their law. Don't worry. I'll put in a good word
for you."