Re: enable SSL on server

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Андрей <andyk(at)softwarium(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: enable SSL on server
Date: 2005-12-15 12:03:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

Please tell - how to enable SSL on PostgreSQL 8.1 server. When
setting option "ssl = on" in postgresql.conf - server even doesn't want
to startup. I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2000, installed from
.msi, downloaded from www.posgtresql.org.

Best regards,

Kovalevski Andrei,
soft(at)andrei(dot)in(dot)ua

> Please tell - how to enable SSL on PostgreSQL 8.1 server. When
> setting option "ssl = on" in postgresql.conf - server even doesn't want
> to startup. I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2000, installed from
> .msi, downloaded from www.posgtresql.org.

If the server isn't starting up, it will say why in the logs.

What does it say in the logs?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

>> Please tell - how to enable SSL on PostgreSQL 8.1 server. When
>> setting option "ssl = on" in postgresql.conf - server even doesn't
>> want to startup. I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2000, installed
>> from .msi, downloaded from www.posgtresql.org.
>

> If the server isn't starting up, it will say why in the logs.
>
> What does it say in the logs?

No logs appear, just got MessageBox with 'PostgreSQL Tray' - 'Service
command failed'. :(

Best Regards,

Kovalevski Andrei

>>> Please tell - how to enable SSL on PostgreSQL 8.1 server. When
>>> setting option "ssl = on" in postgresql.conf - server even doesn't
>>> want to startup. I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2000, installed
>>> from .msi, downloaded from www.posgtresql.org.
>>

>> If the server isn't starting up, it will say why in the logs.
>>
>> What does it say in the logs?
>
> No logs appear, just got MessageBox with 'PostgreSQL Tray' - 'Service
> command failed'. :(

It seems unlikely that *nothing* is being logged - PG is usually good at
that. Check your logging configuration settings, and see what you get
with ssl = false, then try again with ssl = true.

If you genuinely have nothing being logged, the failure must be very
early in the startup sequence. Try starting it from a command-prompt -
you should see an error message then.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

=?UTF-8?B?0JDQvdC00YDQtdC5?= <andyk(at)softwarium(dot)net> writes:
> Please tell - how to enable SSL on PostgreSQL 8.1 server. When
> setting option "ssl = on" in postgresql.conf - server even doesn't want
> to startup. I'm using PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2000, installed from
> .msi, downloaded from www.posgtresql.org.

Did you set up the key and certificate files required by an SSL server?
See the documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ssl-tcp.html

regards, tom lane