Re: License For Contribution [Was: Re: Ready to launch?]

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Omar Kilani" <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: License For Contribution [Was: Re: Ready to launch?]
Date: 2004-12-20 20:30:40
Lists: pgsql-www

All the work you have committed has been to a CVS clearly marked as BSD
Licence on the project website. That is the licence under which you have
donated the code and design that it produces. Or have I misunderstood
what you are saying?

Regards, Dave.

>>The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
>>derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
>>PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said
>>image on the
>>postgresql.org website.
>>
>>---
>>
>>Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use
>>must be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the
>>terms of the
>>original license on the image.
>>

>All the work you have committed has been to a CVS clearly marked as BSD
>Licence on the project website. That is the licence under which you have
>donated the code and design that it produces. Or have I misunderstood
>what you are saying?

What I am seeing in this discussion is that want to keep exclusive
rights to the original image but that all the code is BSD licensed.

My basic take on this is simple:

It is going to be too much of a pain in the butt. If that is the
route they are going to be take then I will have my artist create a new
elephant from scratch that we will be BSD licensed and copyright to the
project.

We don't want to have to deal with this later.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Regards, Dave.

jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes

From: Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>
Date: 2004-12-20 20:49:37
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua,

> What I am seeing in this discussion is that want to keep exclusive
> rights to the original image but that all the code is BSD licensed.

Not quite. It's a stock royalty-free image (not *our* image), that we've
purchased the license to use, for the express purpose of using it in
PostgreSQL related websites.

> My basic take on this is simple:
>
> It is going to be too much of a pain in the butt. If that is the
> route they are going to be take then I will have my artist create a new
> elephant from scratch that we will be BSD licensed and copyright to the
> project.
>
> We don't want to have to deal with this later.

There's nothing to deal with. It's one image. We've paid for it so that
it can be used by PostgreSQL. There's nothing else to it. It's that simple.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Omar

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Omar Kilani <omar(at)tinysofa(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-12-21 07:36:21
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> The elephant in the announcement box on the front page is a licensed
>>> derivative work of a royalty free image, and Emily Boyd grants the
>>> PostgreSQL Global Development Group the right to use said image on the
>>> postgresql.org website.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Use by PostgreSQL International sites is possible, but a right to use must
>>> be granted by Emily Boyd for each licensee, as per the terms of the
>>> original license on the image.
>>>

>> All the work you have committed has been to a CVS clearly marked as BSD
>> Licence on the project website. That is the licence under which you have
>> donated the code and design that it produces. Or have I misunderstood
>> what you are saying?
>>
> What I am seeing in this discussion is that want to keep exclusive
> rights to the original image but that all the code is BSD licensed.
>
> My basic take on this is simple:
>
> It is going to be too much of a pain in the butt. If that is the
> route they are going to be take then I will have my artist create a new
> elephant from scratch that we will be BSD licensed and copyright to the
> project.

Nice !

> We don't want to have to deal with this later.

That's also my opinion.

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Regards, Dave.

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>> (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83